With more than 10,000 free fonts available online, many Photoshop users opt to customize their fonts to enhance their graphic creations. Importing fonts into Photoshop is an easy task to complete in any operating system. The imported fonts have to be installed to your computer's hard drive so they can be readable in programs and applications such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and the computer's desktop publishing programs.
Things You'll Need
- Font download file
- .ZIP file extractor
Download a custom font from one of several free sites. Those sites include 1001FreeFonts.com, UrbanFonts.com, and DaFont.com.
Double-click the font download you want. Select the "Save" action in the pop-up window.
Store the font download file on the desktop screen by clicking the "Desktop" tab in the left pane of the Explorer window. Click the "Save" button in the bottom right corner of the screen.
Locate the font file's new icon on the desktop screen, and right-click over it. Select the "Install" action in the pop-up menu.
Click the Adobe Photoshop desktop icon to open the program. When Photoshop opens, it will be updated with the imported font.
Tips & Warnings
- Although creating a folder for your fonts isn't required, it's a good way to keep them organized. It will make it easier to find your files when you prepare to unzip and import them into Photoshop.
- Installing fonts on a MAC OS is not much different. Access the font file's location on the computer, double-click the font icon, then select the "Install" action.
- Close Adobe Photoshop before importing any fonts.
- Most font files come compressed as .ZIP files. These files must be unzipped before you attempt to install the font to the computer. If you do not have a .ZIP file extraction application, download one for free at winzip.com.
- Photo Credit Ciaran Griffin/Lifesize/Getty Images
How to Add Fonts in Photoshop CS3
Adding text to an image is a great way to enhance a design. Adobe provides several different types of fonts. You can...
How to Add a TTF in Photoshop
TTF stands for TrueType font. It is a font format that was developed by the Apple Computer company in 1997. It is...
How to Format Text in Photoshop
Photoshop provides artists with the ability to add a wide variety of text and text effects to their images. This program allows...
How to Add Fonts to Photoshop CS3 on a Mac
While the Mac operating system is packaged with a wider selection of fonts than Windows, there are still many fonts that you...
How to Add Fonts to Photoshop CS
It's useful to add unique fonts to an image in Photoshop CS. The program does include some pre-installed fonts, but you can...
How to Make a Font in Adobe Photoshop
Creating a font in Adobe Photoshop is a simple and effective way to add a personal touch to your graphics projects. Both...
How to Import Fonts
Computers use fonts to display text in different styles. There are thousands of different fonts available on the Web, although Windows already...