A soccer player needs to know how to wash his soccer shoes to prolong the life of the shoes and to avoid injury. Keeping the bottom of the shoes free of debris will provide the player the proper amount of traction on the field or pitch. Ideally, a player should wash soccer shoes after each practice and game. At the very least, a player needs to wash her soccer shoes at least once a week. This applies to both leather and synthetic soccer shoes.
Things You'll Need
- Rag or cloth
Bang cleats together to loosen grass and dirt on the bottom of the shoe immediately after practice or a game. Wipe shoes with a rag or cloth to remove any remaining debris on the shoes.
Hand wash soccer shoes at home. Do not put soccer shoes in the washing machine. Use a damp rag or cloth to rub the dirt off of the shoes. A toothbrush can be used in place of a rag to clean smaller areas of the shoes, such as the stitching or the bottom of the shoes between the cleats.
Crumple newspaper, and stuff it into each shoe. This helps the shoes dry by absorbing water and moisture. It also aids in retaining the shape of the shoes, according to Arlington Travel Soccer Club.
Place shoes in a warm area where they can dry naturally. Do not put soccer shoes in the dryer.
Tips & Warnings
- High-quality leather cleaner can be used to remove stains and marks on leather soccer shoes that soap and water cannot remove.
- If the shoe liner is removable, take it out prior to stuffing the wet shoes with newspaper.
- A matching-color shoe polish can be applied to the soccer shoes after washing and drying.
- Do not use any household soaps or cleaners on your shoes. They can destroy the shoe materials.
- Do not place wet soccer shoes in direct sunlight. This can cause the materials to dry out and crack, lessening the life of the shoes, according to Soccer Cleats 101.
How to Clean Football Cleats
Football cleats are the part of the team uniform that gets the most dirt, but the least care. They should be cleaned...
- How to Wash Sneakers in a Washing Machine
- How to Wash Leather Shoes in a Washing Machine
How to Care for Soccer Cleats
Proper care of soccer cleats will not only determine how long they last, it is an important ritual of the sport, and...
How to Clean Nike Soccer Cleats
In sports, there may be nothing more important than footwear, and in soccer that means cleats. The studded boots offer the player...
How to Make Court Shoes Less Slippery
A court or basketball shoe is not something that you want to be slippery. You need to be able to stop, turn...
How to Remove Rubber Turf Marks From Soccer Shoes
Though artificial rubber surfaces provide an even and streamlined playing field, the leather uppers of your soccer cleats may still suffer from...
How Do I Wash & Dry Football Cleats?
After washing football cleats you want to make sure you dry them in the proper way. Learn how to wash and dry...