Getting a flat stomach at 50 takes a combination of exercise and diet. Abdominal exercises such as sit-ups, crunches and leg lifts will help tone your abdominal muscles, but a 50-year-old also will need to maintain a leaner diet and do some cardiovascular exercise. Your metabolism slows down as you age. Exercising and the way you consume your meals can help increase your metabolism and keep fat off your waistline.
Things You'll Need
- High but lean protein foods (chicken, turkey, fish, tuna)
- Complex carbohydrates (rice, potatoes, yams, cereal, vegetables, fruit)
- Exercise bike or treadmill
Getting a Flat Stomach at 50
Repeat the following exercises three or four days per week.
Sit on a sturdy chair sideways near the side of a bed. Secure both feet under the bottom of the frame or box spring mattress and cross your arms on your stomach. Inhale as you slowly lean back until your body is horizontal to the floor. Exhale as you come back up at a 45-degree angle so that you still have tension on your stomach. Lower yourself again and come back up. Do 10 total repetitions, rest for 20 or 30 seconds, then do the exercise two more times.
Lie on the floor with both feet fully extended. Slowly lift both legs up about 6 inches off the floor. Hold that position for a second, then lower your feet to the floor. Do three sets of 10 repetitions.
While still on your back with your knees up and both feet on the floor, place your hands and forearms at each side of your head. Slowly raise your head and shoulders off the floor and tense your stomach muscle. Lower your shoulders and head back down. Do three sets of 10 repetitions.
Eat oatmeal, cream of wheat or a lean cereal for breakfast. Have chicken, turkey, tuna or another type of fish for lunch along with rice and one cooked vegetable. Eat a similar lean protein for dinner, a baked potato or yam, two cooked vegetables, several raw vegetables and fruit. Have a lean shake later on, but stop eating three or four hours before you go to bed.
Use an exercise bike or treadmill for 20 to 30 minutes in the morning before you eat breakfast. Use the bike or treadmill about two hours after dinner for 20 to 30 minutes. Repeat this workout every day.
When your stomach is flatter, cut back to one cardiovascular exercise per day if you desire.
Tips & Warnings
- There are several things you must do to get a flat stomach at 50. Diet and cardiovascular exercise are essential. You must not eat junk food or any foods that are high in fat. You should also refrain from drinking beer unless the beer has very few calories.
- Eat only when you are hungry, and but train your body to stop eating three or four hours before bedtime. Any calories not burned by late evening can potentially turn to fat overnight. Cut your calories even more if you are not leaning out after a week.
- Never starve yourself to lose weight. This will only slow down your metabolism, and it is not healthy. Do not overdo the exercising in the beginning. This will only make you sore.
How to Get a Flat Stomach
We all know you need diet and exercise to whittle away the fat on your stomach, but this article has a few...
How to Get a Flat Belly
A flat belly doesn't have to be something elusive belonging only to skinny high school girls or the stars in Hollywood. There...
How to Get Cut
Exercisers who want to improve their physique may start by implementing a weight-lifting program. No matter how large your muscles, however, you...
How Can a 12 Year Old Get a Flat Stomach?
When you are 12 years old, you might have some leftover belly fat from your earlier childhood years. As you head into...
- How to Look Your Best When Almost 50 Years Old
How to Flatten a Stomach Without a Tummy Tuck
While the tummy tuck is a quick way to get a flat stomach, it has several disadvantages. Tummy tucks leave obvious scars...
How to Flatten Your Stomach When You're Over 50 Years Old
As we age, our metabolisms tend to slow down. That belly fat that has accumulated due to pregnancy, stress, one too many...
How to Get Ripped at 50
Getting ripped at 50 is a matter of discipline. No different than getting ripped at any other age, it requires a great...
The Best Exercise for a Flabby Stomach
To achieve visible abdominal muscles, daily training must be conjoined with healthy eating habits and cardiovascular and weight-resistance training. While spot reduction...