Dramamine is an over-the-counter medicine that's typically prescribed to treat nausea, vertigo, dizziness and vomiting associated with motion sickness. Other uses indicate Dramamine is helpful as a sleeping aid. Dramamine and other antihistimines are useful, over-the-counter alternatives to more addictive benzodiazapines and sleep aids, such as valium.
Things You'll Need
- Dramamine tablets (50mg)
Purchase Dramamine tablets over-the-counter at your local drug store. Dramamine is usually found in the drug aisle next to the antihistamines and other sleep aids. The tablet form usually works fine. Talk to your pharmacist about the correct dose.
Take one to two 50mg tablets at least 30 minutes prior to bedtime. The maximum dose of two tablets works best for sleep. You can take Dramamine with or without food, but make sure you take a dose with a full glass of water. Swallow tablets whole; don't crush or chew.
Plan on taking Dramamine four to six hours prior to waking for the next day's activities. Don't drive or participate in any activities after taking Dramamine.
Tips & Warnings
- Dramamine and other antihistimines are useful, over-the-counter alternatives to more addictive benzodiazapines, such as valium.
- Adults should not exceed six 50mg tablets in a 24-hour period. Children between the ages of six to 12 should not exceed three 50mg tablets in a 24-hour period. Children between the ages of two and six should not exceed 75mg in a 24-hour period.
- Dramamine contains ingredients found in antihistamines, which may make one feel groggy and drowsy after use.
- Talk to your doctor before taking Dramamine for sleeping purposes. There may be other medicines available that are more effective in treating insomnia and won't make you feel groggy after use.
- Talk to your doctor before taking Dramamine if you're pregnant, have heart problems, an enlarged prostate, urinary tract or liver problems, asthma or glaucoma.
- Don't take Dramamine if you're allergic to any of its ingredients, or if you're taking sodium oxybate.
- Dramamine may increase the effects of other drugs that increase drowsiness, as well.
- Keep all medications out of the reach of children.