The moisture associated with a marine environment makes boat fabrics prone to mold growth and mildew. Most boat owners have to deal with mold at some point. Rapidly forming mold grows in the dark, warm, enclosed boat interiors during storage. Untreated mold and mildew will grow until the only choice is to remove the affected parts--but removing the mold and mildew as soon as it is discovered can save the boat's fabric surfaces. Strong commercial products are that won't damage the fabric are your best bet.
Things You'll Need
- Mold-off biodegradable spray
- Soft cleaning cloth
How to Remove Mold & Mildew From Boat Surfaces
Spray a heavy layer of Mold-Off liquid on all of the fabric surfaces that are growing mold. The surfaces should be visibly wet. Let this stand overnight.
Fill the bucket with water and wet the cloth. Rub in small circular motions and rinse the cloth whenever it begins to dry out or show the mold. Let this sit to dry.
Spray another layer of Mold-Off on the fabric surfaces. Let this coat air dry. This layer will not be wiped off. It will stay on the surface of the fabric to keep more mold and mildew from growing in the future.
Tips & Warnings
- 3M Marine Mildew Block Spray is another product - in addition to Mold-Off that works for cleaning mold and mildew off of fabrics.
- Mold-Off spray works best on warm days when the surfaces can be left for a few hours exposed to sunlight.
- Keeping the boat interior dry and clean will help prevent future mold and mildew outbreaks.
- An alternative way to prevent future mold growth, according to the Canvas Country website, is to spray the surface with a 50-50 mix of white vinegar and water.
How to Remove Mildew From Fabric
Mildew is a common occurrence in many households. Understand that mildew is a mold that can be harmful to your health so...
How to Keep a Boat Interior Clean
You just bought a boat and you have already taken it out for a spin. By now, you have probably already figured...
How to Prevent Mold on Boats
Mold is a major problem encountered by boat owners. Even when mold is cleaned up entirely, new growth can quickly appear as...
How to Clean Mold out of Boat Cushions
Boat cushions are a prime breeding ground for mold and mildew. With plenty of dark, damp and warm surfaces on which to...
How to Clean Mold & Mildew From Fabric
Mold and mildew infest upholstery, rugs and curtains, whether they're made of natural or man-made fabrics.
Products to Remove Mold & Mildew From Fabrics
Mold and mildew can be tricky to remove from fabric. However, with a little bit of elbow grease and the right products,...