Grasshoppers make great, free bait for fishing. They are especially good for fishing for catfish. Because grasshoppers are part of a normal diet for fish, they are a better bait than a fake lure. They taste like real food, so the fish is less likely to try to let go of your hook as quickly.
Things You'll Need
- Red LED light
- Empty 2 liter soda bottle
- Small screwdriver or knife
- Fishing rod
- Thin fishing hook
- Split shot sinker
Find a field where there are plenty of grasshoppers. You will want to find a place to catch grasshoppers during the day when you can see them because you will catch them at night when it is very dark.
Clip your red LED light to your hat. The red LED light keeps the grasshoppers from jumping away when you walk up to them. Make sure that the light stays aimed at the grasshopper and your hand does not come in between the light and the grasshopper.
Place the caught grasshopper into your empty 2-liter bottle. Storing the grasshoppers in a bottle will keep them from jumping out of the container when you go to hook one onto your line. When you have enough grasshoppers, place a few small holes into the very top of the bottle with a small screwdriver or knife for air.
The next day, tie a thin fishing hook onto your line. You do not want to kill the grasshoppers when you put them on the line, so the thinner the hook, the better.
Hook the grasshopper through the thorax. The thorax is the part of the body with all the legs. Push the hook all the way through, and then hook one of the back legs onto the hook to help secure the grasshopper.
Tie a split shot sinker onto your line to help sink the grasshopper. Cast your line and leave a little slack so that when the grasshopper moves your line will also.
Tips & Warnings
- If you have leftover grasshoppers, you can freeze them for future use. If you are planning to fish again within a couple days, you can put some vegetation inside your bottle and keep the grasshoppers in the house.
- Some pet stores will sell live grasshoppers, which is an option for those who do not want to catch their own grasshoppers.
- Grasshoppers are only good to use as bait when they are naturally available in the environment. Do not try to use them in the winter when fish would not be expecting them to be in the water.
How to Fish With Grasshoppers
Grasshoppers make excellent fishing bait provided that you are able to present the bug to entice fish to bite. A grasshopper is...