Edible oysters, which come from the family Ostreidae, are not the type of oysters that produce pearls. Instead, Ostreidae oysters can be prepared for consumption in a variety of ways. Many people enjoy eating oysters raw, but others prefer them cooked. Smoking the oysters is one cooking method that adds a unique flavor to the shellfish.
Things You'll Need
- 12 oysters
- Oyster knife
- 1/4 cup mesquite wood chips
- 1/8 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 package of bacon
Add mesquite wood chips to the smoker and preheat to 175 degrees F.
Use an oyster knife to shuck open the oysters. Be careful not to lose the liquid within the shell.
Add a splash of olive oil to each oyster before setting a small slice of uncooked bacon on top.
Place the oysters in the smoker.
Smoke the oysters for an hour and a half. Remove the shellfish from the heat and serve hot.
Tips & Warnings
- If you don't like the flavor of mesquite wood chips, you can choose to use a different type of wood chip, such as alder or cherry wood.
- You can top the oysters with barbecue sauce before smoking instead of using oil and bacon.
- If you don't have a smoker, place a sheet of aluminum foil on the bottom of a wok. Sprinkle cooking sawdust on the foil. Set a wire rack on top. Place oysters on the rack, and cover. Cook on high until you see smoke and then turn the heat setting down to medium. Smoke for half an hour.
- Keep your smoker away from small children and pets; it is very hot and can cause severe burns.
How to Make Oysters Rockefeller
This classic oyster dish is said to be as rich as a Rockefeller - hence the name. It was created at Antoine's...
How to Eat Smoked Oysters
Smoked oysters are a delicacy that will satisfy either as an appetizer or an entree, in sufficient quantity. Store-bought smoked oysters are...
How to Roast Oysters With a Gas Grill
If you want to enjoy fresh oysters at home, then try roasting them on a gas grill. Areas in the southern United...
How to Tell if Jarred Oysters Are Good
Consumers have the option of purchasing fresh oysters in the shell or shucked oysters in jars. Although the ease and convenience of...
How do I Barbecue Oysters in the Shell?
Barbecued oysters make a simple and succulent appetizer with any meal, though they are particularly tasty outside on a grill during warm...
Ways to Eat Oysters
With the reputation of being an aphrodisiac, the oyster has long had an air of mystery about it and with it a...
How Do I Cold-Smoke Fish?
Cold-smoking, along with hot-smoking, is one of two ways to heat fish in the smoking process. It can be prepared in a...