Painting dishes, such as plain white ones by Corelle, can be a fun hobby. Make beautiful gifts for yourself or friends and family. Most craft stores have a wide variety of paints to choose from so you can get the finished product you desire--from opaque to transparent, and if you're not comfortable drawing a design freehand, you can pick out a stencil to use.
Things You'll Need
- Old newspapers or plastic bag
- Glass paints
- Acrylic craft brushes in various sizes
- Stencils or tracing paper
- Washable marker
- Rubbing alcohol
- Cotton swabs
Clean the dish. Remove pricing stickers or labels. Dry the dish thoroughly.
Set up your workspace. Place newspapers or plastic bag on work surface. Set out paints and brushes, washable markers and stencils or tracing paper.
Apply stencil according to package directions or trace your design onto the dish with the tracing paper and washable marker. Apply paints with brushes as desired. If you make a mistake, dip the cotton swab in rubbing alcohol and "erase" it.
Allow the piece to dry thoroughly. Bake the piece according to the paint manufacturer's instructions.
Tips & Warnings
- Choose paint specially formulated for glass and for your intended purpose. For example, choose a bake-on paint for items that will be washed often, such as plates, for maximum durability.
- Make sure to carefully read the instructions on the paint. This will help you determine the best use for the paint and how to care for painted items so they last a long time.
- Experiment with the paint to achieve different effects, but don't mix paints together. Variations in formulas could produce an unwanted effect.
What Is Corelle Dinnerware?
CORELLE® appeared on the market in 1970 as the first glass dinnerware to be chip and break resistant. It was developed by...
How to Identify Corelle Patterns
Corelle patterns have been popular since the 1970's. Their popularity was largely due to the designs and durability of the product. There...
How to Paint a Plate
If you paint your own plates, you can create a design that will complement your decor or suit your personal taste. To...
How to Clean Rust off of Corelle
Corelle dishes are easy to clean, durable and available in a variety of styles. The dishes are not susceptible to rust since...
How to Replace Corelle Dishes
Corelle dishware, which was created by Corning, has been on the market since the early 1970s. Hundreds of patterns exist, with many...
How to Paint Over Decals
Decal removal can be a tedious task fraught with potential unseen problems. Sticker adhesives are often too powerful to remove without the...
How to Remove Dishwasher Rust Off of Corelle Dishes
Corelle dishes are known for their durability. They are resistant to cracks, chips and breakage. They are microwaveable, as well as dishwasher-safe....
My Corelle Dishes Have Some Metallic Marks From Silverware, How Can I Get Rid of Them?
The metallic marks you may see on Corelle dishware may or may not have been caused by contact with silverware. The gray...