Antifreeze is the coolant used in cars to prevent liquid freezing in the vehicles. It is very poisonous, so contact should be avoided because it can cause organ malfunction if absorbed through the skin. Do not let pets anywhere near an antifreeze spill; if they drink it, they will get extremely sick and even die. Clean up can be categorized as toxic waste, and should be handled efficiently.
Things You'll Need
- Rubber or latex gloves
- Hot soapy water
- Cleaning agent
- Old rag
- Paper towels
- Trash bag
- Small plastic bags
Cleaning up the Spill
Wipe as much antifreeze off the car window as possible with paper towels. Discard them in a small plastic bag.
Scrub the surface with hot soapy water or cleaning solution with a rag.
Dry up excess cleaning solution off of the car window.
Spray with Windex and clean with paper towels.
Discard the paper towels in the small plastic bag.
Tie up the plastic bag and put it in a larger trash bag, seal accordingly and place in a tightly sealed trashcan, or deliver it to your local toxic waste dump.
Tips & Warnings
- Antifreeze is a poison. Skin contact should be avoided at all costs. If contact does occur, call the local poison control immediately.
Signs of Low Antifreeze in a Car Engine
Antifreeze is an important component of an automobile. When a car runs low on antifreeze, problems occur. Sometimes the signs of low...
How to Clean Spilled Antifreeze
Puddles of spilled antifreeze are harmful to groundwater and potentially fatal to people and -- especially -- household pets. There are two...
How to Get Paint Off a Car Window
Learn how to remove paint from a car window even if it's poured on heavily. Two techniques can keep the car windows...
How to Defrost Frozen Car Windows
For drivers in the northern latitudes, ice buildup is more than just a seasonal inconvenience. Ice can easily build to more than...