Upgrading the BIOS, better known as flashing the BIOS, of an ATI graphics card can be difficult and potentially harmful to the computer. Even a small misstep can result in the graphics card having a corrupt BIOS, rendering it useless. However, you can flash an ATI graphics card's BIOS successfully.
Things You'll Need
- Correct ATI graphics card BIOS
- Latest version of the ATIWinFlash utility
Download the correct BIOS for the ATI graphics card installed on the computer (see Resources).
Download the ATIWinFlash utility (see Resources).
Click the "ATIWinFlash" icon to launch the utility, and then click "Load image."
Select the BIOS you downloaded and then click "Program" to flash the BIOS.
Tips & Warnings
- Many of the model numbers for ATI graphics carfs are similar, so double-check your card's number before you download a BIOS.
- For best results, close as many programs as possible before flashing the BIOS.
- Improperly flashing a graphic card BIOS can permanently damage the card.
How to Use ATIFlash
ATIFlash is a software tool that updates your video card's hardware BIOS. These updates can include fixes on the hardware for previously...
How to Update Video BIOS
The video BIOS controls how your operating system interacts with your video card. If your video card is your original card, you...