How to Remove Mold From Cement

Save

Mold, a fungus that grows in moist conditions, has a furry or velvet texture in several colors that include black, red, yellow and green. Excessive growth will cause a powdery appearance that produces airborne spores. Mold commonly grows in damp areas that lack proper ventilation, and it will grow in most temperatures. Mold in your home presents a health hazard; remove it immediately. You can follow a few specific steps to remove mold from concrete in your home.

Things You'll Need

  • Bleach
  • Water
  • Bucket
  • Sponge
  • Scrub brush
  • Rubber gloves
  • Respiratory mask

Removing Mold

  • Put on old clothes prior to cleaning; bleach will damage clothing if splashed. Wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from chemicals and mold. To prevent lung damage, wear a respiratory mask in areas with little ventilation.

  • Mix a solution of 4 parts water with 1 part bleach in a bucket. Scrub the moldy cement with the sponge and scrub brush to remove all physical signs of the mold. Let the area dry, and repeat until you have used up all of the bleach solution.

  • Scrub areas deeply penetrated with mold with a biological cleaner or fungicide. The bleach solution only works to kill surface mold and will not fully destroy mold that has penetrated an area. Use these products in areas where mold has grown for a long time, as you will not know how deeply it has penetrated.

  • Dry the area completely. Examine the cement to verify that you've removed the mold.

  • Contact a contractor or mold specialist for severe mold outbreaks, or in cases where the mold elimination process will require the removal of wall and flooring units.

  • Prevent mold from returning by sealing cracks that cause moisture buildup. Provide proper ventilation for the area, and make sure you've eliminated any other moisture sources. Monitor the area to verify that the mold does not return.

Tips & Warnings

  • Completely remove all mold growth and apply a sealer to the area prior to applying paint.
  • Repeat mold growth points to a more serious problem that requires professional assistance. Bleach damages the lungs when inhaled; use caution and safety devices. Heavy mold buildup produces airborne spores that are dangerous to the respiratory system. Wear a face mask or respiratory mask for safety. Follow package instructions when using a biological cleaner or fungicide.

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!