How to Apply for Government Housing Assistance If You're Disabled


An increase in the number of low-income families has made it more difficult to find affordable housing. Fortunately, disabled individuals in need of housing assistance can benefit from several programs established by the U.S. government. By applying for any one of these programs; disabled individuals can locate an affordable home that meets their accessibility needs and allows them to be independent.

Things You'll Need

  • Photo ID
  • Social Security card
  • Disability letter from physician
  • Check stubs

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides several types of housing vouchers including mainstream, designated housing, home ownership, Section 8 rental and certain development. The type of voucher you can qualify to receive will depend on your family’s annual gross income, elderly or non-elderly status and public housing eligibility. You also can qualify to live in a government-subsidized apartment or public housing.

Your city’s Public Housing Agency (PHA) or local Housing Authority office is responsible for providing information on housing assistance programs and program applications. Call or visit your local Housing Authority office. Locate the phone number, address and website information for your local Housing Authority office by using the link to the PHA locator in the Resource section of this article.

Submit your application. You may be required to set up an appointment, so check with your local Housing Authority office. Be prepared to submit copies of your recent check stubs, Social Security card and a photo ID. You also will need to submit a signed letter from your physician, describing your disability.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!