A May Day basket is fun to make and put on your neighbor's front door on May Day. They are easy and inexpensive to make and your neighbors and friends will be delighted with the surprise on their front door. Here are a few suggestions for making May Day baskets.
May Baskets - Egg Cartons
• Cut the egg carton into three sections and set aside.
• Cut construction paper or tag board into 2" strips.
• Glue two strips together for each handle to make it stronger.
• Staple strips on to each side of the egg trays forming a handle.
Cone Shaped May Day Baskets
• Use a piece of construction paper and fold in to a cone shape. Staple in place.
• Use different colors of construction paper and cut (the long way) them in to 2" strips.
• Glue two strips together for strength.
• Attach the strips to each side of the cone.
Paper Plates May Baskets
• Take one paper plate and cut it in half. (There are so many beautiful paper plates you could use or two plain white plates work just fine.)
• Place a full paper plate right side up and place a cut piece upside down on top of it.
• Line up the bottoms and staple together creating a pouch.
• Use colored markers or crayons to draw pictures, flowers, or write Happy May Day on the front.
• Use yarn, ribbon, or construction paper strips for the handles/hanger.
• Place one end on either side of the top of the full paper plate.
Finishing Touches For Your May Day Baskets
• Fill the tray with your choice of decorative items such as silk flowers, fake grass with flowers made out of construction paper, jelly beans, tea bags, homemade cookies, or anything else you have at your house.
• Tie a ribbon of yarn, or other material, for a finishing touch.
May Day Tradition - Hang May Baskets on Neighbor's Door
On May 1st go to your neighbor's house hang the May Day basket on their door handle or on the front stoop, ring the door bell, and hide. Watch their surprise as they open their door and see the May Day basket. The tradition is that if you are caught they give you a kiss but you can come out from hiding and wish them a happy May Day.
Tips & Warnings
- When you start making your May Day baskets in April you will be able to make enough for all your friend and neighbors. Be creative and everyone involved in making the May baskets, and those receiving them, will enjoy May Day.
- Photo Credit public domain
How to Make a Construction Paper Basket
Whether for Easter, May Day or just for amusement, making your own basket out of construction paper is an easy and enjoyable...
How to Make a Tissue Paper May Basket
May baskets are a part of an ancient tradition that started with early Celtic cultures. May Day was a celebration of the...
How to Celebrate May Day
May Day has been celebrated since ancient Roman times and is still observed around the world. The celebration often starts in the...
May Day Basket Ideas
Using flowers, baskets and doorknobs, you can make several people happy this May Day. Put flowers in a baskets and hang them...
List of Things to Put in a Valentine Gift Basket
You can purchase a variety of Valentine's Day gift baskets already stocked with items but it is more personal and imaginative to...