The QuickBooks small business bookkeeping software lets you record different types of payments, including debit cards. All payment methods are recorded through the Write Checks interface.
Record Payment Transactions
Recording a debit card transaction in QuickBooks is very similar to documenting a purchase made with a check.
- Open QuickBooks and select Banking from the toolbar.
- Choose Write Checks.
- Uncheck the Print Later box.
- Place a code in the check number field indicating a debit
card transaction, such as Debit. If you use more than one debit card, include
the bank name in the code for differentiation purposes, such as Chase
Debit or BofA Debit.
- Enter the date, payee and amount of the transaction.
- Record any additional important information in the memo
field, such as, “refreshments for the Board Meeting.”
- Click Save.
Electronic and online payments, such as PayPal, can also be recorded in your check ledger in the same manner.