Colored light bulbs add a special ambiance to any occasion, whether you hang them outside in the garden or illuminate a room with a soft, colorful glow. You can color light bulbs yourself with the right materials and a little creativity. Make a series of multi-colored spheres to enhance your next party, or hand-paint scenes on light bulbs and present them as gifts for a custom look.
Things You'll Need
- Table clamp
- Glass paint
- Craft paintbrush
Clamp the base of the light bulb to the table so that it stands up freely. If you don't have a clamp, you can brace the bulb with your hand and paint one side at a time, rolling it after the paint dries.
Paint the light bulb with a single color or with a scene. Glass paint can be mixed together to create shades of a color that are not sold separately. For a scene, paint the background first, then layer the scenery over it.
Let the paint dry thoroughly before removing it from the clamp.
Bake the bulb according to the paint manufacturer's instructions to set the paint.
Tips & Warnings
- Regular acrylic paint won't stand up to the heat from a light bulb, so you must buy glass paint that can be baked in the oven. Read the manufacturer's instructions on the glass paint to ensure that you select the correct type.
- Use clear light bulbs when possible. While you can paint on a white light bulb, the transparency of the clear bulb allows the colors of the paint to remain true.
- Work in small sections at a time as the glass paint dries quickly.
- Use small stencils to create patterns and objects if you're not adept at freehand painting.
- Paint the light bulbs with a light touch so as not to shatter the glass.
- Photo Credit http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1082199
The Effects of Colored Light Bulbs
Colored bulbs are used in a variety of scenarios. Merchandisers utilize colored bulbs as a means for making their product more attractive...
How to Color Clear Christmas Mini Light Bulbs
Christmas decorations are colorful, twinkling and festive. One of the most widely-seen holiday decorations are miniature LED lights, which you can string...
How to Paint Christmas Light Bulbs
Creating custom Christmas decorations puts you into the holiday frame of mind. A simple and inexpensive way to kick off the holiday...