Making your own frosting can never be easier! Being able to know how to make your own frosting is great for situations when you need it, but do not have the store around you, or maybe you do not have the money or time to buy some. This recipe is all you need to know to make a simple, sugar frosting, and quick and easy at that!
Things You'll Need
- Powdered sugar
Pour a cup of powder sugar in a bowl.
Pour just a tablespoon or two of milk.
Slowly whisk the ingredients together. If the mixture is too thick, then add more milk by tablespoons.
Continue to whisk until the mixture is as smooth as possible.
Add more powder sugar if you need to make for more frosting.
If you want to make vanilla frosting, add a cap-full of vanilla extract or use one vanilla bean. To use a vanilla bean, slice the bean open long-wise. Open the bean up, and lay it flat. With your knife, scrape the vanilla extract off the bean.
To make chocolate frosting, add two tablespoons of cocoa powder or a tablespoon of chocolate syrup.
Tips & Warnings
- Use the back end of a spoon to break up clumps of powder sugar.
- Add a few drops of coloring dye to make festive frosting!
- You can replace milk with water, but milk makes for better frosting.
- The frosting can last up to a week, typically. It is best to make frosting with sugar and milk, then add cocoa, vanilla, or dye whenever you need to.
- Pouring too much milk will make for a runny mixture. Solution is to add small amounts of powder sugar.
How to Make the Best Sugar Cookie Icing
This simple sugar cookie icing recipe is perfect for easy decorating. It uses basic ingredients and is beginner-friendly.
How to Use Granulated Sugar for Frosting
Most frosting recipes require the use of powdered sugar.However, a creamy fluffy frosting can be made out of granulated sugar by cooking...
- How to Make Sugar Cookie Icing Out of Powdered Sugar
How to Make an Icing Sugar Mixture
Top that cake made from a mix with homemade icing. It has a richer taste and texture than canned frosting, and a...