Southern-style crab cakes are a popular appetizer on both coasts, as well as points in between. They can be made with a low-fat version of the famous New Orleans sauce, and can be served as a main dish as well. This recipe is quick and easy, and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
Things You'll Need
- 10 oz. fresh lump crabmeat
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white or sourdough bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup fat-free or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. coarse grain or spicy brown mustard, divided
- 3/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce, divided
- 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- lemon wedges
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Discard the shells from the crabmeat. Use a mixing bowl and combine 10 oz. crabmeat, 3/4 cup fresh white or sourdough bread crumbs and 1/4 cup of chopped green onions.
Add 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise, one egg white, 1 tbsp. mustard and 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce. Mix the ingredients together with a wooden spoon and shape your crab cakes. Use 1/4 cup of mixture per crab cake, which forms eight crab cakes approximately 1/2-inch thick. Roll crab cakes in remaining fresh white or sourdough bread crumbs.
Heat a medium-sized frying pan with 1 tsp. olive oil and add four crab cakes at a time to fry. Cook crab cakes 4 to 5 minutes per side until they brown and set them in oven to keep warm. Fry remaining four crab cakes in same manner.
Use small bowl to mix re'moulade dipping sauce by combining the rest of the 1/4 cup of low-fat mayonnaise, 1 tbsp. mustard and 1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce. Mix sauce well until creamy in consistency.
Serve your crab cakes with re'moulade dipping sauce and use lemon wedges as garnish.
Tips & Warnings
- You may use regular mayonnaise if so desired, but low-fat does not change the taste or consistency of the remoulade dipping sauce.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
How to Make Remoulade Sauce
No po'boy sandwich is complete without a dollop or two of creamy remoulade sauce. Remoulade sauce, which features a rich mayonnaise base,...
How to Make Sauce for Crab Cakes
How to cook sauce for crab cakes; tips, tricks and tools you'll need in this free online cooking video.