If you want to lose weight fairly quickly, a stair climber is a great machine to use. Not only will you burn over 400 calories an hour, but you can also gain some rock hard leg muscles. And since you can use a stair climber almost anywhere, you have no excuse not to work out. Here are two different exercises you can do that will cut fat fast. Work out a few days a week and pretty soon the pounds will start to fly off.
Things You'll Need
- Stair climbing machine
- Comfortable clothing
- Bottle of water
Interval training is a great way to lose weight because it encourages your body to use more fuel by not letting it settle into a routine. The first thing you need to do for this workout is step on the stair climber like usual.
Climb at a slow, even pace with little to no resistance for two to five minutes (just enough so that you feel like you are doing something).
Then, for the next two to five minutes, turn the resistance up as high as you can step without overexerting yourself.
Go back to your lower resistance setting and then repeat steps 2 and 3 for the duration of your workout.
Heart Rate Workout
If you're trying to build endurance or keep your body in a constant aerobic or fat-burning zone, go with the heart rate workout. Find a stair climber with heart rate sensors on the handles or put an electronic heart rate monitor on your wrist.
If there are heart rate sensors on the machine, set your height, weight and age and it will put together a target heart rate for you. If not, check a heart rate chart (many gyms have these posted) or visit an online heart rate calculator to find your magic number.
Begin your workout and gradually increase the machine's speed and intensity until your reach your target range. Make sure to maintain this heart rate during the middle part of your workout. (Don't worry about it during the warm up and cool down). If your heart rates gets too low or too high, adjust your speed and resistance as needed.
Tips & Warnings
- If there's no stair climber handy, you can achieve the same benefits by climbing flights of stairs or bleachers.
- Alternate your stair climber workouts with walking or aerobics classes so you don't get bored.
- Keep a bottle of water handy anytime you use the stair climber. Many have convenient cup holders just for this purpose.
- Stair climbers may not be the best option for you if you have muscle or joint pain in your legs.
- Always stretch after your workout to avoid muscle cramps.
- Listen to your body. If you feel dizzy or lightheaded, take a break.
- Use good posture or you will have an aching back within minutes of stepping on the machine.
- Hold on to the hand rails. You don't want to fall off.
Calories Burned Climbing Stairs
Stair climbing isn't just a means of getting from one floor to another, it's also a solid form of exercise. According to...
Will Walking Up & Down Stairs Cause Weight Loss?
When you see a flight of stairs, you may look for ways to avoid them. However, walking up and down stairs is...
Beginner's Workout for Stair Steppers
Stair steppers are a fun and easy way to burn calories while toning your body. Even though there are many different types...
Stair Exercises at Home
Many people think a full-body workout requires expensive equipment and a health club membership. In the privacy of your own home, you...