You want to immortalize your beautiful likeness--or your family's--in a portrait. The ultimate goal is to look fashionable and timeless in the photograph, but you don’t know what colors and fabrics work best. If you're clueless about what to wear for a special portrait, learn a few key fashion pointers before you strike a pose.
Wear monochromatic colors. Clothing with bold stripes and colorful prints are distracting. Choose one solid hue that complements your eye color. Dark colored clothing works well because it has a slimming effect in photographs .Avoid very light colors as they don't photograph well.
Wear classic styles to prevent the photograph from looking outdated later. A simple sheath dress for women or a blue or gray suit for men are recommended fashion choices. Or ask the photographer to recommend clothing options that will blend best with the portrait setting.
Keep your makeup and hairstyle simple. Outlandish hairdos and extreme makeup choices look unnatural. Makeup is actually exaggerated in portraits by the harsh lighting. Subtle tones and hair combed away from the face allow your natural beauty to shine through.
Wear V-necks. Bulky turtlenecks, thick scarves and sweaters can add additional pounds to your appearance. V-necks and open collars elongate the neck and body and flatter your face. Likewise, choose sleek, close-fitting clothes over baggy.
Dress your family members in complementary colors. When sitting for a family portrait, apply the monochromatic rule discussed in Step 1. Or use a color palate that has variations of one color theme. A family portrait should focus on your faces; clothing options are secondary elements when considering the overall composition of the photograph.
Tips & Warnings
- Do not have your hair cut the day of a portrait. Schedule hair appointments at least a week in advance to create a more natural look in the portrait.
- Cover your arms with long sleeves or a jacket--bare arms are a distraction in a portrait because it draws the eye away from the face.
- Keep jewelry simple.
- Any clothing with writing, large graphics and bold designs are discouraged for a portrait.
- If you wear glasses, be prepared to remove them during the photograph session. Glasses do not photograph well in a portrait.
- Don’t forget to select proper footwear to compliment your outfit. Men should select brown and black shoes with dark hosiery to wear with a suit or slacks.
- Have your clothes washed and pressed to prevent unsightly wrinkles from appearing in the portrait.
How to Paint a Background for an Oil Portrait
Before photography, the only way to preserve a likeness of a person or beloved pet was to render the image by hand....
The Best Colors to Wear When Having School Picture Taken
School pictures appear in yearbooks, become gifts for family members and create lasting mementos for school-aged friends, so make clothing choices carefully...
What Colors to Wear in Family Portraits
Wearing the wrong colors in a family portrait can be haunting. Those photos are usually found years later in a forgotten closet,...
What Colors to Wear in Group Pictures
Group pictures are meaningful reminders of a time period and individuals who make that time special. Don't let the wrong wardrobe choices...
What to Wear to a Photo Shoot
Getting your picture taken is an exciting event whether you're doing it alone or with your family. However, there is nothing worse...
What to Wear for a Christmas Family Portrait
Many families take a family portrait every Christmas, either as part of a family tradition, to use as gifts or for family...