Guys, we all know that a pencil neck is not attractive. Girls LOVE a big, thick neck on a guy--I know I do :). Read on to learn how to achieve a more muscular neck in no time with a few simple exercises.
Things You'll Need
- 10, 20, and 30 pound plates
- A flat bench
- A neck harness (optional)
Start with a little warm-up to ensure you don't pull anything. Rotate your head around your neck in a circle clockwise for 20 seconds. Then rotate it counter-clockwise for 20 more seconds. Lower your head slowly so that you are looking at your feet, then raise it up until you are looking at the ceiling. Repeat 10 times.
After you have adequately warmed up, lie on your back on a flat, sturdy bench with only your head hanging over the back edge. Place a towel underneath a 10 pound weight and rest the weight gently on your face, holding it with your hands on either side just enough to keep it balanced. With the weight still resting on your face, slowly lower your head until it is almost perpendicular to the ground, then raise it until your chin touches your chest. Repeat 10 times and do 4 more sets.
Turn over and lay flat on your stomach. Place the weight on top of your head just as you did before with your face. Slowly lower your neck until you can see behind you, then raise it until your head is level with your body and you are looking straight ahead. Repeat 10 times and do 4 more sets.
Tips & Warnings
- Complete these exercises five nights a week for a stronger, thicker neck.
- If you feel that 10 pounds is too easy at first, be patient. The low weight is crucial so that you are able to do high amounts of repetitions and several sets. After a weeks worth of sessions with the 10 pound weight, you can increase the amount you use to 20 pounds, 30 pounds and so on.
- A neck harness can be used to complete the third step in lieu of holding the weight on top of your head. When selecting a harness, be careful to purchase one that is heavy-duty and capable of dealing with the numerous repetitions you will put it through!
- Remember to let your neck do the work on these exercises and try to refrain from holding the weight up too much with your hands.
- Your neck will be sore for a couple of days after you begin these exercises. Repeat the stretching exercises in step 1 throughout the day if necessary to relieve some of the pain and keep your muscles from tightening up.
How to Get a Thinner Neck
Excess fat in your neck can be the result of genetics, being overweight or aging. Bodybuilders and exercise fanatics can also over-develop...
How to Get Thicker Thighs and Legs
You have weak, spindly legs, and they're an area of your body that you'd like to change. You want thick legs --...
How to Make the Neck Bigger On a Shirt
A simple way to enlarge a neckline on a T-shirt is to cut a slit down the middle of the neck, fold...