Returning something to a store can be simple or time-consuming, depending on that store's policy. Know the procedures before you make your purchase.
Things You'll Need
- Sales Receipts
Find the sales receipt for the item you wish to return.
Take the item and the receipt to the store with you.
At the store, ask where items to be returned should be taken.
Present the receipt and the item to the cashier or customer service representative.
Declare your reason for the return.
Request an exchange, store credit, credit card credit or cash.
Follow the procedure as explained by the cashier or customer service representative.
Tips & Warnings
- If you request a credit card credit for your return, you must have your credit card with you when you return the item.
- Some stores will accept returns without receipts, especially if the item returned was a gift.
- "I decided I don't like it" is a perfectly acceptable excuse for returning an item.
- Keep all receipts for at least a month after you make a purchase. This will make returning easier.
- Many stores only offer store credit for returns, and some do not accept returns on sale items. Check store policy before you buy.
- Used items may not be accepted for return.
How to Return to a Job After Quitting
Workplace politics may complicate your dream of returning to a job after quitting. Convincing your former employer that you deserve a second...
How to Return a Car Battery to a Store
Automobile batteries are a key component in the electrical system of your car. The battery provides the necessary power to turn the...
How to Write a Return Letter for an Unopened Product
Returning an unopened product to a company is not always a straightforward process. Return policies vary, sometimes making it difficult to return...
How to Return Items to an Apple Store
It is inevitable that you will one day come across an Apple product that you must return due to either a defect...