The Swiss roll is a type of sponge cake, baked in a flat tin then filled with fruit jelly and curled into a roll. It's a great tasting crowd pleasing dessert. Eat with tea or a scoop of ice cream to add more fun.
Things You'll Need
- 3 ounces self raising flour
- 3 ouncescaster sugar
- 2 eggs
- your favorite flavor jam or lemon curd
- Swiss roll baking tin (9x12 inches)
- egg whisk
- palate knife
- wax paper
How to make Swiss roll
Beat the eggs until they are frothy then add the sugar and blend together until they form a thick cream.
Gently stir in the flour with a palate knife.
Spread the mixture evenly over your well-greased Swiss roll tin and bake at 450F for 5-8 minutes.
Turn the sponge out onto a piece of wax paper covered in caster sugar.
Spread evenly with a thin layer of your favorite jam.
From the short end that is closest to you, begin to roll the sponge until it is completely rolled.
Leave the paper over it for a few minutes to allow it to set and cool, then serve.
Tips & Warnings
- Swiss roll is great served with custard.
- As an alternative, roll the sponge with wax paper instead of jam, then when it has cooled, unroll, add jam and whipped cream and re-roll.
- Make sure not to overcook the Swiss roll otherwise it will crumble when you roll it.
- Photo Credit Musical Linguist
How to Make a Jelly Roll
This decadent cake can be made anytime of the year, with different jellies and jams, or to enhance a holiday dessert spread....
How to Prepare Crescent Rolls
Looking for a great side dish recipe? Learn how to prepare crescent rolls for your next meal with expert cooking tips in...