Football is widely considered, by those who have played it previously, as far more than a simple sporting activity. It is, as well, a process by which boys are molded into young men. One of the most interesting facets of that process is the way by which some players step up and become leaders on the football field. Do you want to become one of those leaders? If so, here's how to go about it:
Things You'll Need
How to Become a Leader on the Football Field
Teach by example. Before you start giving speeches to the team, advising anyone else on how to train, or otherwise assuming any leadership roles, first try to lead the team by example. Make sure that every moment that you train, practice, and play is a moment that you'd be proud to have your teammates emulate.
Build camaraderie with your teammates. If you want to lead your football team then you first need to befriend its players.
Put in the extra effort that's necessary. In order to truly be a qualified candidate to lead your football team you must first demonstrate to your coaches and teammates that you love the game. Do so by watching film, lifting weights, running, and constantly being on the lookout for extra time you can put into your football game.
Help your teammates. Watch during practice and see who needs help, then offer it to them after practice.
Act the part. No one is going to believe in you as a leader if you don't first believe in yourself. If you're confident and go about things acting like a leader, your teammates will respond well on the football field.
Tips & Warnings
- * Remember, your goal of becoming a leader on your football team should be to help the team, not to help yourself.
- * If you feel like things aren't going well, talk to your coach and tell them you want to try to be a leader for the team. See what advice they can offer you.
- * Don't try to lead in any way that interferes with your coach's leadership. This will only end in trouble for you and in disaster for your football team.
- Photo Credit Courtesy of the Burnham Family Collection, Wikimedia Commons
How to Become a Football Coach
Do you love football? Have you enjoyed playing the sport and are looking for a way to continue to work with the...
How to Be a Good Youth Leader
Do you have a desire to work with youth? If so, you may want to consider working as a youth leader for...
- Qualities of a Team Leader
How to Be a Great Leader
Great leaders should be compassionate, good listeners and motivators. Be a great leader with tips from an administrative trainer in this free...