Anyone with curly hair knows it doesn't take much to turn your beautiful curls into an unattractive frizzy mess. In addition to using the right products, you need to dry your curly hair correctly to show off those gorgeous curls.
Things You'll Need
- Styling products
- Comb or pick
- Hair dryer
Shampoo and condition your hair with styling products designed specifically for curly hair. Squeeze excess water out of your hair before getting out of the shower.
Use a pick, wide toothed comb or your fingers to untangle your wet hair. Apply your normal styling products, but use products designed for curly hair.
Allow your hair to air dry, if possible. If there's not time, then blow dry your hair with a hand held hair dryer with a diffuser attached to the barrel end.
Divide your hair into sections to dry with your diffuser. If you try to blow dry your hair too quickly, it will frizz.
Hold the blow dryer a few inches away from your head and direct the airflow from the roots to the tips of your hair. Gradually and smoothly move the dryer to each section of hair.
Touch your hair as little as possible while drying. Let the air and heat from the blow dryer remove the moisture from your curls.
Tips & Warnings
- Use a shampoo, conditioner and styling products specifically designed for curly hair.
- Use a hair dryer that you sit underneath, like those found in salons. They're available at beauty supply stores or online at websites like Discount Beauty Center. (See link in Resources.)
- Hair is most fragile when wet, so take care when handling your wet hair.
- Do not rub your hair with a towel, it will create tangles and frizz.
- Don't brush curly hair--it will become frizzy.