A creative craft project for busy little fingers is to make a ball in a cup game. Small children enjoy the craft process almost as much as playing with the end result. Add this one to your repertoire of rainy-day fun.
Things You'll Need
- Cup (Styrofoam or plastic)
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- String or yarn
- Rubber bands
- Duct tape
Obtain a large Styrofoam cup or plastic drinking glass.
Locate a rigid plastic spatula or wooden spoon for the handle.
Poke or drill a small hole in the center of the cup's bottom. (For heavy plastic cups, an adult can complete this step.)
Flip the cup upside down. Run the tip of a 48-inch piece of string through the cup and out the hole. Tie a sturdy knot on the end and make sure it can't slip through.
Wad a piece of paper into a ball. Wrap a rubber band around the ball tightly. Repeat with numerous rubber bands until no paper is visible.
Connect the ball to the other end of the string by winding the string through the rubber bands. Knot the string.
Tape the handle securely on the outside of the cup, with at least 4 inches of grip hanging below the bottom. Holding the handle, sway the ball back and forth until you can catch it in the cup.
Tips & Warnings
- If you don't have enough rubber bands, crumple aluminum foil into a tight ball around the string.
- If the string is too long for your child to use comfortably, pull it through the cup to the desired length and tie a new knot. Cut off the excess and enjoy the game.
- Never use a container made of glass for this game. If dropped, it can shatter and injure someone.
- You can substitute a ruler for the handle, but make sure it doesn't have a sharp metal edge.
How to Make a Sponge Ball Disappear in Your Hand
If you're just starting out performing magic tricks, making a red sponge ball disappear in your hand is a simple trick to...
How to Make a Light Ball From Plastic Cups
The lighting in a room adds to the decor of that room as well as the room's mood. Make your own fun...
More Ball & Cup Magic Tricks
Watch examples of ball and cup tricks in this free sleight of hand magic tricks video.