Apple's iTunes Store provides an index of free podcasts. You can add your own podcast to the iTunes store so other iTunes users can discover, subscribe to and rate it. The iTunes Store doesn't host podcasts, so your podcast must be hosted on a third-party server and have an RSS feed associated with it. Apple's iTunes team reviews each submitted podcast and publishes or declines the podcast within two weeks. Apple declines podcasts that contain strong sexual content, copyrighted material and other offensive content.
Things You'll Need
- Completed Podcast
- iTunes Account
Locate your podcast's RSS feed address. An RSS feed is an XML file that contains information about your podcast and the addresses of each individual podcast file. Consult your hosting provider's documentation for information on locating your podcast's RSS feed.
Click the "Advanced" menu in iTunes and select "Subscribe to Podcast."
Type, or copy and paste, your podcast's feed address into the Subscribe to Podcast box and click "OK."
Verify a page for your podcast appears in iTunes and attempt to play an episode of your podcast. Apple declines podcasts with technical problems that don't appear in iTunes. If the podcast's page doesn't appear, your podcast's feed isn't compatible with iTunes. Contact your hosting provider with information about the problem.
Click "iTunes Store" at the left side of the iTunes window and click "Podcasts" at the top of the page that appears.
Click "Publish a Podcast" at the right side of the Podcasts page on the iTunes Store page.
Type, or copy and paste, your podcast's feed address into the box on the Publish a Podcast page and press Enter.
Log in with your iTunes account's username and password.
Tips & Warnings
- Continue to update your podcasts to maintain your listeners interest.
- Before you submit it, you should test that your RSS feed works. You can do that by either dragging the URL into the podcast playlist or going to the Advanced menu in your Toolbar, clicking on Subscribe to Podcast, and typing it in.
- If you are asked to add summary information after you submit your URL (because your RSS feed didn't have tags), you can always go back and change them by including tags on your feed. The information on the RSS feed is what is going to be the definitive source of information for your podcast.
- Never use copyrighted material in your podcast.
- Think hard about what you're putting out there in your podcast before you submit it. The iTunes staff's job is to make sure that there aren't any technical problems, copyright issues, offensive materials, or other problems. Some of that can be prevented.
- Photo Credit Justin Sullivan/Getty Images News/Getty Images
How to Make a Podcast & Put It on iTunes
Anyone with an iTunes account can submit a podcast for inclusion in the iTunes Store. There is no charge for this. To...
How to Submit a Video Podcast Into iTunes 4.9
After you've created your video podcast, and you are ready to display it to the world, you have to think about placement....
How to Subscribe to Podcasts with iTunes
Subscribing to Podcasts with iTunes is easy. You do not have to have an iPod. An account at iTunes Store is not...
How to Update a Podcast on iTunes
Creators of podcasts can post new episodes as often as they want to. And just because a podcast normally post at a...
How to Download Past Podcasts With iTunes
A podcast is a free audio or video file that you can listen to or watch on your computer or portable media...
How to Listen to Music Online
Use a program such as QuickTime to listen to online radio stations, or use Internet sites such as iTunes or Rhapsody to...