A classic with a nice plate of scrambled eggs, home fries satisfy that morning empty feeling - in a big way. Serves four (or one extremely hoggish hungry person).
Things You'll Need
- 3 lbs. potatoes
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Large Pots
Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water for 12 minutes, or until just tender.
Drain potatoes and cool.
Melt 2 tbsp. butter and oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and saute until golden, turning occasionally, about 18 minutes. While cooking, add another tablespoon of butter at the nine-minute mark.
Serve warm, perhaps with ketchup or Tabasco.
Tips & Warnings
- You can make the potatoes through Step 2 a day ahead of time. Simply cover the drained and cooled potatoes and chill until you need them.
- You can also add chopped sautéed onion, bell pepper, or even mushrooms to your home fries.
- Yukon Gold potatoes have a nice buttery flesh, and they won't fall apart as bakers (Russets) tend to.
- How to Make Eye-Rollingly Delicious Homemade French Fries
How to Make French Fries at Home
Homemade french fries can be much healthier than anything you buy at a fast-food joint for one reason. You decide how much...
Crispy Oven-Baked French Fries Recipe
French fries so crispy no one will know they are baked! Learn the big secret that gives you the best oven fries...