You can lock the SMS and MMS messages on your Samsung Galaxy S III, so that individual bubbles of communication are not accidentally deleted when an entire thread is erased. This tool is especially effective when you have lengthy -- and memory-consuming -- conversations but only need to save a line or two of important information. Locked messages are safeguarded and stored in the phone's memory, so you can refer back to them later -- even when the rest of the conversation is gone.
Launch your text messaging app and open the thread containing the message you wish to save.
Navigate to the text message bubble you would like to lock and tap it once.
Tap "Lock Message" in the Message Options menu.
Tips & Warnings
- Message locking is only a preventative measure that protects individual bubbles of text from being deleted en masse. Locked messages can still be manually deleted by tapping on the message and selecting "Delete Message."
- Tap the message after it has been locked and select "Unlock Message" to reverse the lock protection.
- You can implement a third-party app -- like SMS Lock, Go SMS Pro or Vault -- to not only lock your private messages from deletion, but also encrypt or password-protect them.
- Information in this article applies to the Samsung Galaxy S III. It may vary slightly or significantly with other versions or products.
- Photo Credit Michael Buckner/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images