Dealing with bikini area hair removal can become a year-long experience for some and an all-too-familiar nightmare for most during the summer months. When bikini season rolls around, you swallow hard and try to put on your game face, convincing yourself that this year will somehow be different, free of ingrown hairs and irritation. Fortunately, achieving a smooth bikini area does not need to include stress. Consider some tips and tricks to creating a smooth bikini line, without any bumps along the way.
Things You'll Need
- Shaving cream
- Shaving gel
- Antibacterial ointment
- At-home waxing kit
- Electric trimmer
- At-home hair removal system
Lubricate your skin well with a shaving cream or gel if you prefer shaving your bikini line; or, consider an antibacterial ointment to protect delicate skin while combating bacteria that can lead to bumps, suggests Allure.
Wax your bikini area with an at-home waxing kit that includes wax and strips. Wait to wax until your hair is at least 1/4 inch in length for an effective experience and smooth bikini line. Hold your skin taut, pulling the wax strip in the opposite direction of the way your hair naturally grows.
Trim and epilate your bikini area if you would prefer to avoid waxing; an epilator pulls the hairs out with a rotating head of tweezers, so your skin is not directly exposed to wax, which may lead to irritation. Use an electric trimmer on longer hair that does not need to be fully removed. Epilate hair that you would usually wax, while holding skin taut.
Apply a toner to your bikini area after hair removal to help prevent ingrown hairs and bumps for a smooth finish. Choose a beauty product with active ingredients, such as salicylic acid or liquid aspirin and spearmint, to decrease inflammation and prevent infection and ingrown hairs.
Purchase an at-home pulsed light or laser hair removal system for a more permanent method to achieving a smooth bikini line. Read the instructions thoroughly and use the system as regularly as necessary to slowly remove hair for good.
Tips & Warnings
- Shave carefully, pressing gently to avoid a too-close shave that can result in irritation.
- Allure: Bikini Line Tips -- What To Do Between Waxes
- InStyle: Memorial Day Bikini Prep -- Your Best Hair Removal Options
- Allure: Allure's Head-to-Toe Guide to Hair Removal
- Allure: Bliss/Philips Bikini Perfect Deluxe
- InStyle: Spring Skincare -- 50 Best Skin-Care Tips of All Time
- InStyle: Your Most Stylish Year Ever -- May: Beach-Ready Beauty
- Allure: Solution2 Post Shave Treatment
- Allure: New -- Home Hair Removal for Every Skin Tone
- Photo Credit Frazer Harrison/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images