How to Send Tax Forms Without the W-2s

You should normally attach your W-2 form(s) documenting employee pay to your tax return, and you need the information on the W-2 to calculate your income and the amount withheld. If you do not have your W-2 and you cannot obtain it from your employer, you can still file your tax returns. The IRS keeps all of the information that you need and will provide it for free.


    • 1

      Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 or 1-800-829-3676.

    • 2

      Follow the prompts to tell the IRS who you are and what year you need tax information for. Tell the IRS whether you want the information sent through the mail or by fax. They will send a tax transcript to you.

    • 3

      Find your income and withholding information listed on the tax transcript and enter it into the appropriate year's form 1040. Complete the rest of the return normally.

    • 4

      Attach a copy of the tax transcript to your return and send it to the IRS processing center for your area.

Tips & Warnings

  • The IRS tax transcript does not contain the amount of state and local taxes withheld. You will need to get that information from the appropriate tax authority to file state tax returns.
  • The IRS may or may not have current year W-2 information. File your taxes with Form 4852 to estimate your income and withholding. The IRS will fill in the correct information when it gets it. If you latter get your W-2 and the information is different, file a 1040X to amend your return.
Related Searches


Related Ads

The infamous day of deals can be great for some, but there are alternatives Read Article

The infamous day of deals can be great for some, but there are alternatives