Pomanders - fruits studded with cloves - have been used for centuries for their fragrance. They will add a wonderful holiday scent to your home.
Things You'll Need
- Metal Or Wooden Skewers
- Tissue Paper
- Masking Tape
- Large Airtight Resealable Bags
- Large Bowls
- Tissue paper
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. powdered orrisroots
- 1 tbsp. ground allspice
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
Choose a variety of fruits for your pomanders. Apples, lemons, tangerines and oranges work best.
Use a toothpick or a wooden or metal skewer to pierce the skin of the fruit. Insert cloves into the fruit so that cloves form close, vertical rows. Make patterns with the cloves, if you desire. The goal is to cover the fruit with cloves as completely as possible.
Combine the powdered orrisroot, ground cinnamon, ground allspice and ground nutmeg in a large zipper-lock bag. (This mixture will cover approximately two pieces of fruit.)
Place the fruit in the bag, and roll the fruit around in the spice mixture. Cover the entire fruit with spices.
Remove the fruit from the bag and shake off excess spice powder.
Wrap the fruit in tissue paper and store in a cool, dry place for three to four weeks.
Unwrap the pomander and display as desired.
Tips & Warnings
- Hang pomanders in doorways, on mantles or even on a Christmas tree.
- Display four or five pomanders in a bowl filled with potpourri.
- Consider whether or not you want to hang your fruit with a ribbon after it has dried. If so, lay a piece of masking tape (the same width as that of your ribbon) around the circumference of the fruit before you add the clove studs. Stud the rest of the fruit with cloves, and then remove the masking tape.
How to Get Rid of House Flies With Cloves
House flies can be extremely annoying, particularly when you're eating outdoors. However, common fly strips and insect sprays are even worse. If...
How Do You Make Cheese?
Cheese is made in about 12 processes, depending on the kind of cheese being made, and the first step in making cheese...
How to Make a Fresh Flower Pomander Without Using Wires
A fresh flower pomander is a ball-shaped bouquet or decoration with a ribbon handle, and only lightweight flowers should be used to...