During my late teens and early twenties, summer used to be a very low-maintenance season for me. My morning routine would consist of a rinsing my face quickly with cold water, brushing my teeth, throwing some tanning oil in my beach bag, and heading out the door. My skin and hair have completely changed over the past few years and a little extra effort is now required to keep them healthy during the warm, humid season. I narrowed my routine down to these five beauty must-haves for summer.
1. An effective, non-toxic deodorant, like Osmia Organics Deodorant Cream. If you have never used a deodorant cream, the concept of applying a cream to your armpits may seem unusual and unpractical. However, armpits are a very delicate area of our bodies, therefore using a thoughtfully formulated product is very important. This deodorant from Osmia Organics contains absorbing powders that help to control moisture and odors without blocking sweat glands. It smells very fresh and herbaceous and keeps me from smelling all day long.
2. A sunscreen, like Suntegrity Mineral Body Sunscreen. While moderate exposure to the sun (usually around twenty minutes) without wearing sunscreen helps our bodies to produce Vitamin D, which is essential for good health, prolonged time in the sun may cause sunburns and other harm to your body. A good physical sunscreen (also called sunblock), blocks UVR and provides broad protection from both UVA and UVB. The Suntegrity Natural Mineral Body Sunscreen is not too thick in consistency (unlike most physical sunscreens), so it is easier to apply without leaving white patches on the skin (zinc-based sunscreen products tend to be quite messy, thick and leave a grayish cast on the skin).
3. A root-lifting dry shampoo, like One Love Organics Healthy Locks Dry Shampoo Powder. Humidity and sweat may cause your scalp to get more oily than usual and make your hair look dirty much quicker. Instead of washing your hair too often, a dry shampoo can absorb the excess oil from the scalp and give a little lift at the roots, making your hair appear immediately fresher and more voluminous. It is especially helpful if you have straight, flat hair like mine. Conventional dry shampoo sprays and powders contain very questionable ingredients such as synthetic fragrances and butane, but this dry shampoo powder from One Love Organics contains only natural & organic powders and extracts that smell fresh but are non-toxic.
4. A soothing after-sun moisturizer, like Antioxidant Soothing Body Lotion from Blissoma Skincare. If you do happen to spend a little extra time in the sun and feel like your skin needs some relief, this is an excellent option. Upon application, it immediately has a cooling, refreshing and soothing effect on the skin. It contains Pomella, a pomegranate extract that provides antioxidants to the skin, which helps with protecting and repairing the skin. Preventing sunburns is always the best way to protect the skin from cellular damage, but if you accidentally happen to experience a minor sunburn, this product will be of great help. (A serious sunburn requires medical attention and should not be neglected).
5. A revitalizing facial mist, like YULI Skincare Cocoon Elixir. Any organic, floral water will do a good job of hydrating your skin, but the YULI Skincare Cocoon Facial Elixir contains carefully chosen, wild-crafted botanical ingredients that do more than that. Calendula contains carotenoids and antioxidants that promote the healing of the skin. Chamomile calms and soothes, rose otto tones and destresses, and acerola protects your skin from environmental and oxidative stress caused by the sun. I have personally already used up a bottle of this precious face mist, and it has become a staple in my skincare routine because it is truly effective. It instantly calms aggravated, stressed skin, and it helps with keeping the skin healthy over time.
What are your summer must-haves for skin, body and hair?
Photo credits: Lilly Wallace