How Much Sand Is Needed on Top of Synthetic Turf?

Save

Synthetic turf is used in more than 100 American college and professional football fields, but it also makes a picturesque addition to the property of a home or business. Many styles of synthetic turf exist, but typically it is composed of synthetic, grasslike turf with infill that includes sand.

Sand

  • Sand makes up a significant portion of the infill used on synthetic turf surfaces. While the synthetic grasslike material gives the turf the appearance of grass, it's actually the infill that provides this style of turf with its trademark softness. Silica sand makes up the bottom part of the infill and sits at the base of the synthetic grass. Some companies cover the sand with a layer of cryogenic rubber pellets.

Amount

  • The silica sand used as infill on synthetic turf produced by one major manufacturer makes up 70 percent of the total infill, with the other 30 percent coming from the cryogenic rubber pellets. Every square foot of this turf has 9 pounds of infill, which means 6.3 pounds of silica sand are needed for every square foot of field turf. Another major brand of turf requires roughly 2/5 inch of sand spread on its turf.

Uses

  • Synthetic turf is suitable for a variety of applications in addition to football fields. It's common at golf courses, baseball stadiums, soccer fields and even for residential and commercial applications. In residential and commercial applications, it's useful because it's easy to maintain and stays a vibrant green. Instead of watering and cutting turf in your yard, you can keep it clean by vacuuming it.

Installation

  • The installation of synthetic turf is a complex process that typically requires professional installers. If you want to undertake the project yourself, landscape your yard until it is perfectly smooth and suitable for the turf, which comes in carpetlike rolls. Depending on your yard, an excavator might be required. Cover the yard with a base of crushed gravel, and then lay the sheets of synthetic turf over the gravel, gluing the seams together. Add sand infill to the turf manufacturer's specifications.

Related Searches

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!