Whether it's time to clean out behind the fridge or move it to a new home, you need to know how to move it safely.
Things You'll Need
- Used Carpets Scraps
- Vanilla Extract
- Paper Towels
- Bungee Cords
- Paper towels
Take all of the trays, shelves and other moveable parts out of the fridge.
Unplug the refrigerator.
Defrost the fridge, if necessary.
Disconnect the icemaker if you have one.
Fasten the freezer and fridge doors shut with rope or bungee cords. (Tape may damage the finish.)
Tilt the unit backward and slide a piece of carpet (pile side down) under the feet if you are moving it on linoleum or tile. Use smooth plastic lids if the kitchen is carpeted.
Move the unit upright, never on its side or back.
Tips & Warnings
- For storing the fridge, tie the doors shut on an object such as a cup or empty can. This will keep the door secure without allowing mildew to grow inside.
- Be sure to wipe the unit out with warm, soapy water before storing.
- Leave a paper towel with some vanilla extract on it in the unit if it will be sitting for awhile or has a bad smell.
- Enlist the help of another person to move a refrigerator ' it's too heavy and bulky for one person to move safely.
- If you are discarding the fridge, be sure to remove the doors to ensure that curious children or pets won't get trapped inside.
How to Move a Refrigerator on Vinyl
Vinyl flooring, also called resilient flooring, valiantly withstands heavy foot traffic and weight from large appliances. The flooring is easily scratched or...
How to Haul a Refrigerator
Whenever you're moving in or out of a home, you often need to haul a refrigerator. You may also need to transport...
How to Move a Kenmore Refrigerator
Although Kenmore manufactures many different styles of refrigerators, varying in color, size and features, they are all heavy, awkward items to move....
How to Move Appliances Without Scratching the Floor
A heavy appliance--for example, a dishwasher or refrigerator--can cause scratches in a floor if pushed. To move a heavy appliance without scratching...
Best Way to Move a Refrigerator
The best way to move a refrigerator is with a dolly than has a strap for securing the refrigerator to the dolly...
Tips for Moving Refrigerators
When moving a refrigerator to simply clean behind it, the refrigerator can be wheeled out by gripping it tightly and rolling it....