When the element on or inside an electric stove burns too hot, chances are the part is going bad and will soon burn out. Removing the element and testing the contacts with a multimeter is the fastest way to determine whether the part should be replaced or if the stove has an internal wiring problem that may require professional repairs. Removing and testing the element takes only a few minutes. Multimeters are available at electronics and hardware stores.
Things You'll Need
Unplug the stove's electrical cord and wait for the appliance to cool completely.
Remove the screws holding an oven element to the inside back wall, using a screwdriver, or pull a surface element out of the socket on the stovetop.
Touch the probes on the multimeter to the two prongs on the end of the element. An oven element working properly will register 20 to 40 ohms on the multimeter, depending on the wattage. Large surface elements will read at 27 ohms and small elements at 45 ohms. Any reading out of the normal range, or no reading at all, indicates an element that has worn out or will soon malfunction.
Shut off the circuit breaker to the oven and leave the appliance unplugged if the heating elements read normally. If all elements are functioning properly, the stove has an internal wiring problem and a professional technician should be contacted to evaluate the high-voltage appliance.
- Photo Credit Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images