Making play dough at home is an inexpensive alternative to buying the brand name dough from the store. There are many versions, and ones made from flour and sugar can be stored and reused, or set to create models. Children will love being able to choose their own colors, and can help you in the kitchen. The play dough only takes about fifteen minutes to make.
Things You'll Need
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. powdered alum or cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- Food coloring
Boil water on stove.
Mix flour, sugar and alum or cream of tartar in a medium-sized bowl.
Stir in boiling water and oil, stirring until cool.
Knead in food coloring of choice. Add as much or little as desired for color saturation.
Store in an airtight plastic container or a plastic storage bag.
Tips & Warnings
- If dough begins to harden, knead in water to soften.
- Food coloring paste creates more vibrant colors than liquid food coloring.
- Glitter can be added with the dry ingredients for an extra element.
- Vanilla keeps the dough fresher for longer, and can be added with the liquid ingredients.
- Play dough can be toxic to pets, keep the dough out of their reach.
- Photo Credit Polka Dot/Polka Dot/Getty Images
How Long Does It Take to Make Wine?
Step by step breakdown of the home winemaking timeframe including primary and secondary fermentation, clarifying and aging.
How to Make Peanut Butter Playdough
Play-Doh, now a Hasbro modeling compound, has been on the market since 1956. While the original is hard to beat, you can...
How to Make a Model Brain Out of Play Dough
Sculpting a diagram of the human brain out of play dough is a great hands on way to teach students about the...