Since Biblical times, goats have played a significant role in many of our stories, poems and pictures. They can also make for an unusual and inventive costume, be it for a theme party, school concert or night of Halloween fun. A goat costume can be completed using a little imagination and a few simple items from a thrift shop and craft store. But first, you must decide what type of goat you want to be. A billy goat? A mountain goat? Maybe a satyr? The choice is yours.
Things You'll Need
- Colored turtleneck and pants
- Aluminum foil
- Black foam
- Face paint
Buy matching pants and turtleneck in the color of your goat to serve as the base of your costume.
Make your horns. Horns are one of the most distinguishing features of a goat so construct two horns out of cardboard or by using paper mache. Using craft glue, attach the horns to a headband so that you can comfortably wear them on your head. After putting glue on the headband and the base of the horns, hold the horns in place for at least 30 seconds. Put the headband aside for a few hours so that the glue can set. If crafts aren't your forte, you can purchase goat horns from a costume store or dollar store, or even just purchase any type of horn headband and cover them in colored construction paper or aluminum foil.
Create a tail. Cut a pair of stockings so that you only have one leg and fill this with crumpled newspaper. Staple the stocking shut and then using a needle and thread loosely stitch the tail to the back of your pants. Another way to attach the tail to your pants is by using the same craft glue you used to make your horn headband. Use only a small amount of the glue and let it set for a few hours.
Carve hooves out of black foam. Using a knife, carefully cut the foam into a shoe shape large enough that you will be able to slide your own shoes into the hooves. Alternatively you can just wear black leather shoes.
Tips & Warnings
- If you are going to be a regular goat, buy the items in white or grey. If you want to be a billy goat, purchase brown items. Buy long sleeved shirts and long pants to cover as much skin as possible. Alternatively, if you decide to dress as a satyr, you will only need to purchase pants in the color of your goat, as these creatures are human from the chest up. Satyrs don't wear anything on their top half, so if you are male, this means you can go bare-chested; if you are female, you should wear a bikini top so that the effect is still the same.
- Consider accessories. To add more to your costume consider other things that you can wear or use. If you are a billy goat, buy a grey or brown wig and attach it to your face to be a beard. Decide whether you want to wear a collar with a small bell around the neck like many goats do.
- Buy a pre-made goat mask from a dollar store or use face paint to complete your outfit.
- Photo Credit Seiya Kawamoto/Lifesize/Getty Images
How to Make Goat Horns From Paper
Goat horns are cone-shaped and partly hollow, making paper an ideal medium for creating a fake pair. Working with paper is easy...
How to Make Costumes for a School Play
Making costumes for a school play doesn't have to be an exhausting activity. There are a number of ways to get materials...
How to Sew a Faun or Satyr Costume
Fauns and satyrs are the fun-loving and mischievous goat-people of Roman and Greek mythology. These beings have human torsos but the legs...
Adorable DIY Animal Costumes for Kids
If the thought of hand-making a Halloween costume for your child is too scary, these simple DIY ideas are here to help.
How to Make a Hooves for a Costume
Adding authentic-looking hooves to a costume can transform a costume from amateur to professional. Hooves are easy to make from platform shoes...
How to Make a Ram Horns Headpiece Costume
If you’re putting together a ram costume for Halloween, a costume party or a school play, you’ll need to create a horn...
How to Make a Billy Goat Mask
Masks can be a creative way to add life to imaginary situations. Whether you are conducting a play, bringing a story or...
Art Ideas for "The Three Billy Goats Gruff "
The Norwegian fairy tale "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" provides many interesting arts and crafts possibilities for individuals or class activities. Crafts...
Funny Dress-Up Ideas for a Group
Whether your group consists of your family, co-workers or friends, group costumes can create visually striking effects, as well as provide an...