How to Remove Moss From Stucco

Save

A common exterior finishing plaster, stucco provides your home with a textured look that sets it apart from other houses. As with other exterior home coverings, moss can begin to grow on your stucco. A nonflowering plant, moss will trap moisture between itself and the stucco, creating the perfect growing environment for fungus such as mold. Furthermore, the moss can leave unsightly stains on your stucco. Remove moss from the stucco as soon as possible to prevent discoloration and damage to the exterior of your home.

Things You'll Need

  • Safety goggles
  • Rubber gloves
  • Water hose
  • Bucket
  • 1 cup oxygen bleach
  • Spoon
  • Extension handle
  • Scrub brush

Wear a pair of safety goggles and rubber gloves. Remove the surface moss off the stucco by brushing with a brush broom. Dampen the stucco with a water hose.

Pour 1 gallon of lukewarm water in a bucket. Add 1 cup of oxygen bleach and stir with a spoon until the oxygen bleach dissolves. Oxygen bleach will clean moss, mold, mildew and algae without damaging or discoloring the stucco. Furthermore, oxygen bleach will not harm vegetation.

Secure an extension handle to a scrub brush and saturate the brush’s bristles in the mixture. Begin scrubbing the stucco with the brush in a back-and-forth motion. Continue scrubbing until you have cleaned the stucco thoroughly.

Leave the oxygen bleach mixture on the stucco for 15 minutes. This will give the bleach time to clean the moss and any lingering mold. Rinse the stucco clean with a water hose. Repeat the process as needed.

Tips & Warnings

  • You can find oxygen bleach in the laundry aisle of various department stores.

Related Searches

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!