How to Tell a Turbo 350 Transmission


The General Motors Turbo-Hydramatic 350 transmission was the workhorse of the GM V-8 fleet from 1969 until the late 1980s, when GM replaced it with the overdrive 700R4. One of the most common engine/transmission combinations was the 350/350, where a 350 cubic-inch engine was mated with the Turbo 350 transmission. Many consider this combination extremely durable and easy to repair. When purchasing parts for your transmission, you'll need to know for sure if you're working on a Turbo 350 or something else. Identifying your transmission before heading to the parts store is a good idea.

Things You'll Need

  • Flashlight
  • Slide under your GM vehicle with a flashlight until you can clearly see the bottom of the transmission, where the transmission pan bolts to the transmission assembly. The transmission is located between the engine and the drive shaft.

  • Note the shape of the pan. It should have a roughly square shape, with the corner toward the right-rear of the vehicle angled off.

  • Note the number of bolts holding the pan to the transmission. A Turbo 350 pan has 13 bolts total, four across the top (the area closest to the engine), three down the left side, three across the bottom (side closest to the rear of your vehicle), one in the angled off right-rear corner and two on the left-side.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How To Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!