Sweet glaze takes a dessert or breakfast treat to the next level. Use glaze on cakes, cookies, sweet breads, pastries and doughnuts. Many variations of sugar glaze exist, but the most basic recipe requires only two ingredients and no cooking. Begin with the basic ingredients and modify the glaze to create the perfect complement for your baked goods.
Things You'll Need
- Powdered sugar
- Mixing bowl
- Fork or spoon
Measure out powdered sugar according to the amount of glaze you need. One cup of powdered sugar results in about 1/3 cup of glaze.
Sift the powdered sugar into the mixing bowl.
Add 1 tbsp. of milk per cup of powdered sugar to the mixing bowl. Stir with a fork or spoon until smooth.
Add more milk, 1 tsp. at a time, until the glaze is the consistency you want.
Drizzle or spread the glaze over your baked goods immediately.
Tips & Warnings
- Substitute cream, non-dairy milk or water for the milk, or use fruit juice for flavored glaze.
- Add flavoring extract, spices or citrus zest for flavor. Start with 1/4 tsp. per cup of sugar and add more to taste.
- Mix in 2 tsp. cocoa powder per cup of sugar for chocolate glaze.
- For doughnut glaze, warm 2 tbsp. milk per cup of sugar in a saucepan, then whisk in the sugar and dip the doughnuts in the glaze.
- "The Tassajera Bread Book"; Edward Espe Brown; 2009
- Reader's Digest Version: Confectioners' Sugar Glaze
- Food Network; Doughnut Glaze; Alton Brown; 2004
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images
How to Make Pottery Glaze
The Egyptians added ashes to pottery to generate a glossy sheen. Make your own pottery glaze by using common household goods. Modern...
How to Make Glaze From Granulated Sugar
While many glazes are created using confectioners' sugar, a perfectly wonderful glaze can be created using regular granulated white sugar.
How to Make Brown Sugar Ham Glaze
A quick and simple how to on baking a whole ham with step-by-step photos and a brown sugar glaze. Perfect for an...
How to Make Glaze for Cakes
Making frosting from scratch can be a frustrating and time-consuming experience. A lot of practice is needed to create the right consistency...
Make Homemade Donut Glaze
Learn how to make donut glaze for homemade donuts with expert cooking tips in this free recipe video.