People have loved the comfort and warmth of an area rug for hundreds of years. Today they are widely used as the main flooring of a room or as a decorative accent piece. Rugs come in a variety of shapes and colors, and they are made of a many different types of material. A large rug can be made by binding two rugs together. This is very easy to do when using adhesive carpet tape.
Things You'll Need
- 2 rugs
- Utility knife
- Straight edge ("L"-shaped ruler, yard stick or long piece of lumber)
- Adhesive carpet tape, one-sided (the length of the seam where the two rugs meet)
- Rolling pin
Cut the bound edges off the two rugs where they will be taped together. There may or may not be bound edges. If there are bound edges, they will be bound, surged or fringed. Use a straight edge and a utility knife and cut up to where the bound edge ends and the rug begins.
Turn both rugs upside down and place them so the two edges meet up against each other. Align them so they will be exactly in the places you want them for binding.
Place the adhesive carpet tape, adhesive/sticky side down. Use a rolling pin to roll over the area a few times.
Flip over the new, larger rug. Use it as intended.
Tips & Warnings
- There are three kinds of bound edges: rug binding, which is a narrow piece of fabric covering the edge; rug surging, which is yarn woven to cover the edge; and fringe, which is a loose border protruding 1 inch to 4 inches.
- When using a utility knife, go slowly and concentrate. This type of knife is very sharp.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images Thomas Northcut/Photodisc/Getty Images Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images
How to Attach 2 Rugs Together
Adding a rug to a room can bring a warm feeling to any area whether it is big or small. A rug...
How to Hook Rugs
Rugs can be beautiful creations used to accent a room or used to wipe dirty feet. One way to get beautiful rugs...
Do it Yourself Rug Binding
Rug binding use to mean stitching binding tape along the edges of a rug by means of a sewing machine. Smaller, lightweight...
Can I Sew Two Area Rugs Together?
If you can't find the look you want in a single, large area rug or the cost of the rug you need...