A great deal of craftsmanship goes in to each piece of Kundan jewelry, which features a unique Indian style. Several artisans are involved in creating each individual piece of jewelry. Designing your own Kundan jewelry is possible if you have some familiarity with Kundan jewelry designs and some artistic talent.
Things You'll Need
- Drawing pad / sketch book
- Colored drawing pencils
- Kundan jewelry pictures
- Information on Kundan jewelry components and processes and makers
- Table space
- Good lighting
Review several pictures of Kundan jewelry in books or online. Make notes or save pictures of some of your favorite pieces to use for inspiration in your own jewelry designs.
Study the processes involved in making Kundan jewelry so that you become familiar with the metals, materials and steps taken in making a piece of Kundan jewelry. Gather a list of the cities or places to contact manufacturers that may produce your custom designed jewelry pieces later.
Clear off a flat open space on a table in an area where you have plenty of good lighting. Arrange your drawing pad or sketch book and colored drawing pencils on the table. Review the saved pictures of some of your favorite Kundan jewelry designs, and notice various components and aspects of each particular piece that you like. Consider that the jewelry is intended to be functional and worn, and consider what you want or need for comfort and ease of wear with each jewelry piece.
Art Work & Designing
Improve upon the pictures of Kundan jewelry that you saved by drawing various aspects of things you like about each piece in your own style. Use colored pencils to color in tones of metal and stones that you would like to use in each jewelry piece. Use regular pencils to designate size measurements and technical information about each piece or component of a jewelry piece that you design.
Draw as many aspects of individual pieces of jewelry that you can think of, and while doing so, consider the separate parts used to comprise each jewelry item. Note any size or color specifications for each item and component on your drawings.
Compile a few complete designs for individual jewelry pieces. Then gather the contact information for Kundan jewelry manufacturers that you wrote down, and their contact information. Email or fax them to ask whether they would be willing to make Kundan jewelry for you out of the designs you produced.
Tips & Warnings
- You should have a good idea of the cost of materials involved in producing each piece of Kundan jewelry that you designed before contacting the manufacturers. Ask them for price quotes in English and U.S. currency, along with any minimum requirements that they may have for dollar amounts to be spent, and/or production quantities of each jewelry item. Include your email, telephone, address and other contact information.
- Be cautious about sending your individual unique jewelry design work to manufacturers. Not all countries honor copyright laws. Make sure you are dealing with a reputable manufacturer of Kundan jewelry for the production of the jewelry that you design.
- Photo Credit jewelry image by Sid Viswakumar from Fotolia.com
How to Make Own Photo Jewelry
You can turn your memories into beautiful jewelry. You can upcycle gorgeous invitations, brochures, old posters or damaged dresses into wearable art....
How to Make Ceramic Jewelry
When it comes to ceramic jewelry designs, only your imagination is the limit. Combining the ceramic beads and shapes that you create...