Clove oil is a natural antiseptic which kills mold and can be used as an alternative to cleaning with harsh chemicals. Clove oil can be purchased over the counter at pharmacies---where it is often sold to treat toothaches---or in the aromatherapy section of a natural food or health store. When used with other common alternative cleaning products, it makes an effective cleaner for bathrooms and other spaces where mold can be found.
Things You'll Need
- 1 tbsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 tsp. clove oil
- 4 cups water
- Spray bottle
Rid Your Home of Mold
Mix 1 tbsp. baking soda with 1/2 cup white vinegar and 4 cups of hot water. Using a sponge, scrub the problem area to get an initial cleansing started.
Mix 1 tsp. of clove oil with 4 cups of water. Pour solution into a spray bottle and lightly spray the area where mold is growing. Scrub away mold with a sponge or toothbrush---and rinse with water.
Spray the area with a light coating of clove oil mix and leave on surface to inhibit further mold growth.
Tips & Warnings
- Tea tree oil works in a similar fashion to clove oil, and can also be sprayed on shower walls during regular cleaning to inhibit mold and bacteria from growing.
- Rinsing your shower walls and glass with a quick splash of cold water after each use can make your bathroom stay soap scum and mold-free for longer between cleanings.
- Clove oil is not recommended for use by pregnant women or by those with liver or kidney disease. It is a powerful antiseptic and can cause skin irritation when not diluted, so handle this product with care.
- Photo Credit cleaning products image by AGITA LEIMANE from Fotolia.com
Uses for Clove Oil
Clove oil is a very active essential oil, and its intensity makes it good for many uses outside the kitchen as well...
Using Essential Oils on Powdery Mildew
Powdery mildew can form just about any place with humid conditions, including on plants. Powdery mildew on plants can cause them to...
How to Kill Fungus With Clove
Nail fungus is an unpleasant experience that will cause your nails to discolor, become brittle, and crack. Nail fungus can cause pain...
How to Prevent Mold in Wood: Essential Oil
Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in warm, moist environments. While you can find mold almost anywhere, it seems to...
- How to Make Mouthwash With Clove Oil
Essential Oils That Kill Mold
Mold and mildew in the home can cause a variety of health difficulties, like allergic and irritant symptoms, flu- and cold-type symptoms,...
Known for imparting a sharp, slightly hot flavor to both sweet and savory dishes, cloves are most often added to baked goods...