If you are planning to paint concrete stepping stones, consider these points. Because concrete stones are hard and nonporous, they are ill-suited for adhesion. In addition, if these stones are serving as a walkway, any new finish will be subjected to an inordinate amount of duress. Ordinary paints are not appropriate for stone and will ultimately chip and peel. You must select a particular type of paint, specifically formulated for exterior rock and stone.
Things You'll Need
- Pressure washer
- Heavy-duty fabric drop cloths
- 3- to 4-inch latex paintbrush
- Patio paint
- Patio spray paint
Work on a warm dry day, free from heavy winds.
Remove the stones and place them on a flat concrete surface, like a porch or driveway.
Clean the concrete stones using a pressure washer. Wait 2 to 3 hours for the stones to dry.
Cover areas surrounding the stones with heavy-duty fabric drop cloth.
Coat the clean stepping stones with patio paint using a paintbrush manufactured for use with water-based paints.
Wait 2 hours for the painted stones to dry. Add another coat if you have poor coverage.
Tips & Warnings
- You can also spray on the patio paint. Purchase cans of patio spray paint. Hold the can 8 inches from the stone as you apply.
- You can use stencils to create designs and patterns on stepping stones. Be sure to use a stencil adhesive to attach the stencil to the stone or paint may bleed underneath. Stencils and stencil adhesive are available at craft stores.
- Do not paint over dirty stepping stones or you will have problems with adhesion.
- Do not use plain acrylic latex or oil-based paint on stepping stones; these paints will not provide adequate durability and will ultimately chip and peel.
- Photo Credit stepping stones image by cherie from Fotolia.com
How to Paint Concrete to Look Like Stone
Before you're ready to paint any concrete surface to look like stone, you have to select what colors the stone will be....
How to Paint Patio Stones
If your outdoor decorating and landscaping efforts are based around a color scheme, you may have considered painting some of your stone...
How to Seal Stepping Stones
Making personalized stepping stones from a concrete mixture and mold is a great family project. Each member of the family's stone can...
How to Make Cement & Stained Glass Stepping Stones
Make cement and stained glass stepping stones to give character and charm to your yard or walkway. While stone pavers and bricks...
What Kind of Paint Do You Use on Stepping Stones?
Garden stepping stones can make a colorful and fun addition to any garden or lawn. Choosing the proper type of paint to...