If you are planning to paint concrete stepping stones, consider these points. Because concrete stones are hard and nonporous, they are ill-suited for adhesion. In addition, if these stones are serving as a walkway, any new finish will be subjected to an inordinate amount of duress. Ordinary paints are not appropriate for stone and will ultimately chip and peel. You must select a particular type of paint, specifically formulated for exterior rock and stone.
Things You'll Need
- Pressure washer
- Heavy-duty fabric drop cloths
- 3- to 4-inch latex paintbrush
- Patio paint
- Patio spray paint
Work on a warm dry day, free from heavy winds.
Remove the stones and place them on a flat concrete surface, like a porch or driveway.
Clean the concrete stones using a pressure washer. Wait 2 to 3 hours for the stones to dry.
Cover areas surrounding the stones with heavy-duty fabric drop cloth.
Coat the clean stepping stones with patio paint using a paintbrush manufactured for use with water-based paints.
Wait 2 hours for the painted stones to dry. Add another coat if you have poor coverage.
Tips & Warnings
- You can also spray on the patio paint. Purchase cans of patio spray paint. Hold the can 8 inches from the stone as you apply.
- You can use stencils to create designs and patterns on stepping stones. Be sure to use a stencil adhesive to attach the stencil to the stone or paint may bleed underneath. Stencils and stencil adhesive are available at craft stores.
- Do not paint over dirty stepping stones or you will have problems with adhesion.
- Do not use plain acrylic latex or oil-based paint on stepping stones; these paints will not provide adequate durability and will ultimately chip and peel.
- Photo Credit stepping stones image by cherie from Fotolia.com
How to Paint Patio Stones
If your outdoor decorating and landscaping efforts are based around a color scheme, you may have considered painting some of your stone...
How to Seal Stepping Stones
Making personalized stepping stones from a concrete mixture and mold is a great family project. Each member of the family's stone can...
How to Make Cement & Stained Glass Stepping Stones
Make cement and stained glass stepping stones to give character and charm to your yard or walkway. While stone pavers and bricks...