Whirlpool modular ice makers produce ice cubes in a crescent shape. The amount of water that fills the ice cube tray determines the size of the ice cubes. Water pressure varies from home to home so that the factory normal setting on the ice maker will not produce the same size ice cubes in every instance. This type of ice maker needs adjustments in the water fill time to increase or decrease the size of ice cubes.
Things You'll Need
- Small Phillips screwdriver
Turn the small adjustment screw on the side of the Whirlpool modular ice maker with a Phillips screwdriver to adjust the water level.
Turn the adjustment screw clockwise to decrease the amount of water that fills the ice tray per cycle. If the ice cubes are too large and the water overflows, they freeze to the tray and will not eject properly. Decreasing the water fill level will correct this action.
Turn the adjustment screw counterclockwise to increase the water fill level. This will enable more water to enter the tray and make larger ice cubes. Increase the water fill level if ice cubes are small or contain a hollow center.
Tips & Warnings
- Adjusting the water fill level by 1/2 turn in either direction increases or decreases the total water by 20 cc's and 1.2 seconds of filling time.
- Adjusting the water fill level by one full turn in either direction increases or decreases the total water volume by 40 cc's or 2.4 seconds of filling time.
- Whirlpool modular ice makers are factory preset at a normal water level of 7.5 seconds of fill time. This level shows as a small hole centering inside of the large hole on the front of the ice maker at the adjustment screw level.
- Do not turn the adjustment screw more than one full turn in either direction from the normal setting. This action can damage the ice maker.
- Photo Credit Modern kitchen and dining table image by MAXFX from Fotolia.com
How to Cycle a Whirlpool Icemaker
The Whirlpool style icemaker is a nearly universal feature of most American brand appliances. The icemaker is used on GE, Maytag, and...
How to Remove Whirlpool Modular Ice Makers
When your Whirlpool modular ice maker, in the freezer compartment of your refrigerator, is no longer making ice properly it will need...
How Do I Adjust an Icemaker?
If your ice maker isn't performing to your liking, just adjust it. Adjust an ice maker with help from a registered interior...