The Ford Ranger is a popular small pickup truck that has survived the test of time. Many people have chosen to own this truck for it's advantages in fuel economy over the larger trucks out there.
Doing your own repair work is not only more cost efficient but can be empowering. Everyone enjoys the accomplishments of fixing things on there own. Do you have basic mechanic's tools, basic mechanical knowledge? Then you can do it yourself. Get ready to be your own mechanic with these step on how to repair the fuel pump in a 1994 Ford Ranger.
Things You'll Need
- New Fuel Pump and Lock Ring Seal
- Metric ratchet and socket set
- Ratchet extensions (may need)
- Jack and Jack Stands
- Philips and Flathead Screwdriver
- Small piece of plywood
- Wheel Chucks (something to block front wheels)
- Lock Ring Wrench (optional)
How to Install a Fuel Pump on a 1994 Ford Ranger
Relieve the pressure on the fuel system by removing the fuel pump fuse. Allow the truck to cut off on it's own. Crank engine 2 to 3 times to make sure pressure is relieved. Disconnect the negative battery cable at this point.
Remove the gas tank. The fuel Pump is inside the Fuel Tank. If the fuel tank still has gas in it you will want to remove it you can purchase a siphon kit from you local auto parts store. (warning: never siphon gas by mouth). Raise the rear of the vehicle and place it securely on the jack stands.
Remove the heat shield, skid plate and front retaining strap. Using the jack support the fuel tank. Position the piece of wood between the jack head and the tank to protect the tank. Remove the rear retaining strap. Loosen the clamp on the fill pipe and the vent pipe and remove at the tank. Lower tank just enough to unhook the vapor valve and fuel line connectors from the sending unit and vapor valve. Disconnect the fuel pump and fuel gauge sending unit connectors at rear of tank. Gas tank should now hinge down. Remove tank from vehicle.
Remove any dirt that has built up where the fuel sender/pump is attached and don't allow work to get into tank.
Remove Lock Ring, turn counterclockwise with lock ring wrench or flathead screwdriver until loosened. Remove lock ring.
Remove the pump/sending unit from the tank. This will need a bit of manipulation on your part, and be careful not to bend the arm of the sending float.
Remove old lock ring seal and trash it.
Clean fuel pump mounting flange, tank mounting surface and seal ring groove.
Installation is done in reveres with these added steps. Apply thin coat of grease to new lock ring seal. (this is to help hold it in place during assembly) Put the seal in the lock ring groove. Install the pump into the fuel tank so that the tabs of the unit are positioned into the slots in the fuel tank. (be sure the seal is kept in place until the lock ring has been tightened.) Hold the fuel pump in place, install and tighten the locking ring clockwise.
Tips & Warnings
- The fuel pump is inside the gas tank. You will want to relieve the pressure in the fuel system before beginning repair. Remove fuel pump fuse. Buy a Haynes Repair Manual for you vehicle is always a great idea.
- Remember to disconnect the negative battery cable to ensure no spark can ignite gasoline.
- Always remember gasoline is extremely flammable be sure to take extra precautions when working on any part of the fuel system. Don't smoke or work on fuel system near open flames. Keep away from bare light bulbs in the work area. Wear latex gloves to prevent adverse reactions to gasoline. If you happen to spill any gas on yourself wash are immediately. Be sure to relieve the pressure if fuel lines are being removed. Wear safety goggles for added protection.
- Steven P. Tinder Jr. Auto Mechanic
- Photo Credit money makes money image by Andrey Andreev from Fotolia.com
How to Replace a Ford Ranger Fuel Sending Unit
The sending unit for a Ford Ranger is actually built with the fuel pump. You can purchase this part as a whole....
How to Troubleshoot the Fuel Injection for a Ford Ranger
Troubleshooting the fuel-injection system in the Ford Ranger can be a daunting task. Understanding how the system functions makes this system easier...
How to Replace an Oil Pump on a 1993-1994 Ford Ranger
The oil pump in your 1993 or 1994 Ford Ranger pushes oil into the engine to keep it lubricated. Operating a vehicle...
How to Replace a Ford Ranger's Fuel Pump
The Ford Ranger uses an electric fuel pump located in the fuel tank. It comes in the form of a module, which...
How to Reset a Fuel Pump Shut Off Switch
Many vehicles available today come with fuel pump shut-off switches. These devices are essentially circuit breakers that sit inside you car's airbag...
How to Test a Fuel Pump Relay on a 94 Ford Ranger
A broken fuel pump relay causes a malfunctioning pump, starving the engine of fuel. The engine may stutter, stall or not start...
What Are Some Signs of a Bad Fuel Pump Filter?
The fuel pump on a motor vehicle pumps the gasoline through the engine to be ignited and create power. The fuel must...
Ford Ranger Fuel Pump Troubleshoot
The Ford Ranger is designed with the fuel pump installed in the fuel tank. The pump engages when you turn the key...