Sometimes people just want a drink of water or want to rinse their mouths after brushing their teeth. In this case, a drinking fountain would be more convenient than a bathroom faucet. Instead of using your hands, an unsanitary cup or a paper cup that will end up in a landfill, you can install an attachment right on the faucet so that it can be turned into a drinking fountain at any time. With these attachments, you can turn off the drinking fountain feature and use the faucet in the normal manner just by sliding a lever.
Things You'll Need
- Drinking fountain attachment
Purchase the drinking fountain attachment of your choice. There are several to choose from and you can find them at home improvement centers or local hardware stores. You can even order them online. A few different types are available in fairly inexpensive price ranges, such as plain fountain conversion units and filtering fountain converters.
Turn off the water using the faucet handle. There is no need to turn off the water at the pipe behind the sink or at the main water valve for the house.
Remove the aerator from the faucet. The aerator is the small round piece screwed into the end of the faucet where the water comes out. It has a piece of wire mesh across it.
This should easily unscrew. If it does not, it may be stuck on because of mineral deposits from the water. In this case, use a wrench to gently loosen it. Then you will be able to unscrew it by hand.
Ensure that the threads on the faucet are in good shape and that no mineral deposits, mold or algae are present. Wipe with a clean cloth or paper towel. You do not need a cleaning agent such as detergent for this step.
Screw on the new drinking fountain attachment where the aerator used to be. Check the instructions that came with the new piece if you have a problem. Some faucets have different kinds of threads. In this case, the drinking fountain attachment will probably have an adapter ring you can screw on before installing the drinking fountain attachment.
Test the installation by turning on the water at the faucet. Also remember to test the functionality of the drinking fountain attachment.
Tips & Warnings
- You should buy a fountain attachment made of brass. Brass lasts longer than any other material for faucets.
- Some upscale faucets are designed with the drinking fountain feature built into them. You can replace your existing faucet with a completely new one that swivels to turn into a drinking fountain. Of course, this costs much more money and involves more complicated installation instructions.
- No water should leak from around the new drinking fountain attachment. If it does, you can remove it, wrap the threads in silicon tape and reinstall it. This should solve the leaking problem. Silicon tape is cheap and can be purchased at home improvement centers, hardware stores and even some supermarkets.
- Photo Credit modern faucet and sink detail with running water image by nextrecord from Fotolia.com
- How to Install a Drinking Fountain
How to Build a Drinking Fountain
A drinking fountain can add a lot of functionality to your yard. It gives your kids a place to get a drink...
How to Make a Faucet & Bucket Fountain
Add interest to your landscaping with a charming country fountain you can easily make from a faucet and a bucket. You can...
How to Make a Drinking Fountain in Your Back Yard
Children who play outside in the summer months often get thirsty. Most children love to play in the dirt and often get...