The driver's side airbag in your Dodge Ram is designed to stop the forward movement of your head in a front-end collision, preventing you from hitting the steering wheel and preventing whiplash. They're not infallible, though, and if your airbag light comes on, you may need to replace the airbag on your Dodge Ram to fix the problem; otherwise, you will not be protected in an accident.
Things You'll Need
- Open-end wrench set
- Torx-head screwdriver set
Pop the hood and disconnect the negative terminal on the battery using an open-end wrench. Allow the truck to sit for at least 20 minutes before you work on the airbag.
Reach behind the steering wheel and locate the two screws that hold the airbag to the steering wheel. Unscrew those screws using the torx-head screwdriver, which will allow the airbag to fall forward from the steering wheel.
Unplug the horn switch connector wire and the airbag connector with your hands, then hold the airbag with the vinyl face pointing up and carefully place it in a safe spot, away from any potential energy source.
Tips & Warnings
- Airbags are designed to activate in a fraction of a second, and take just a little bit of electricity to be triggered.
- Never take off an airbag or work on an airbag system with the battery still connected, as you risk blowing the airbag in your face while you do the work, damaging yourself and rendering the airbag unusable.
- Storage is a big issue with an airbag, because you don't want it near even static electricity, plus you have to store it face up. Otherwise, if the airbag accidentally went off, it could become a projectile.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images
How to Replace a Clockspring in a Dodge Ram
Your Dodge Ram may come equipped with an airbag and steering wheel speed controls that, along with the horn, obtain their electrical...
How to Remove the Airbag From a Chevy Pickup
The airbag in a Chevrolet pickup is designed to protect you from harm in a front-end collision. But if the airbag system...
How to Remove a Dodge RAM Steering Wheel
It used to be that removing the steering wheel from your truck was a 2-step process, and could be done in just...
How to Remove a Spare Tire From a F250 Superduty Ford
Changing the tire on your Ford F-250 involves pulling the spare tire down from underneath the bed of the truck. The truck...
How to Turn Off the Airbag Light
You may have made the mistake of turning on the key while installing your car radio without plugging in car airbag components....
How to Reset an Airbag Light
You can reset the airbag light on your vehicle from your home garage, saving yourself a trip to the dealership or mechanic....
How to Disable Passenger Airbags
You can disable the passenger airbags in your vehicle right from your home driveway, and it requires no special tools. Many vehicles...
How to Disable Airbags
Airbags are designed to save lives, but these well-intended devices can cause serious injury or death under certain conditions. Airbags make many...