During the long days of summer break this recipe for green slime is simple enough for older children to make by themselves, while providing a few hours of entertainment. Once the project has been completed, the slime can be kept in an airtight plastic container or plastic bag for several weeks of gooey fun and pranks.
Things You'll Need
- 2 mixing bowls
- 8 ounces of glue
- Green and yellow food coloring
- Spoon for stirring
- 1 tablespoon Borax
- Plastic bag or clean plastic-covered container
Combine 1 cup of cold water with 8 ounces of glue in a medium mixing bowl.
Combine 1 tablespoon of Borax powder with 1/2 cup of hot water in a second bowl. Keep stirring until the Borax has dissolved.
Add about 10 drops of green food coloring and 10 drops of yellow food coloring to the Borax mixture.
Gradually add the hot Borax mixture to the glue-water mixture and stir about 30 seconds.
Mix the ingredients thoroughly. In less than a minute, you'll have a gooey, non-sticky, stretchy slime.
Store your slime in a plastic bag or airtight plastic container. The goop can keep for several weeks if placed in the refrigerator between uses.
Tips & Warnings
- To make your slime glow break open a yellow highlighter, remove the stick containing the ink, and let it bleed into the water you use to make the slime. This will make your slime almost fluorescent and glow very brightly under black light.
- Wear gloves when breaking the highlighter pen unless you want highlighted fingers.
- Also, avoid getting any fluorescent slime on furniture or any other surface that might be stained by the ink.
How to Make Slime
Making slime is a fun activity for kids, especially around Halloween. They'll want to hang it from their nose after a fake...
How to Make Homemade Goop
Goop -- also known as slime, goo or gack -- provides hours of playtime enjoyment for children enthralled by its somewhat disgusting,...
How to Make Slime for Kids
Making slime has never been easier or safer for kids. Also sometimes called ooblek after the Dr. Seuss story "Bartholomew and the...
How to Make Easy Slime Without Glue or Borax
Making slime with kids can be messy, but a variety of slime recipes can be made in a matter of minutes with...
Easy Ways to Make Mucus or Slime
Kids love playing with slime. Slime is slippery, mushy and fun to use for playing pranks or squishing between fingers. Making slime...