An iTunes allowance allows you to control your child's iTunes spending, or to give someone a continuing gift. iTunes will charge your credit card a certain amount every month, and the allowance recipient will be able to spend that money on music, videos or applications.
It works very much like a recurring gift certificate. Monthly allowances can be set up in amount of $10 to $50 per month.
Things You'll Need
- Personal computer with the latest version of iTunes installed
- Credit card
- iTunes store account with credit card
- Account name/Apple ID of the allowance recipient, if any
- E-mail address of the allowance recipient, if no Apple ID exists
In iTunes, click on "iTunes Store" in the left menu to go to the store. Click on "Buy iTunes Gifts" in the menu on the upper right of the iTunes window.
Scroll down to the Allowance section of the page and click on "Set up an allowance now."
Enter your name and the recipient's name in the specified fields. Select the amount of the allowance from the drop-down list. Your choices are $10, $20, $30, $40 and $50.
Indicate whether you want the first installment of the iTunes allowance to be sent right away, or on the first of the next month.
Enter the recipient's Apple ID. If they don't have an existing iTunes account, you can create one by selecting the radio button marked "Create an Apple Account for recipient."
You can also add a personal message to be sent to the recipient of the iTunes allowance.
Click Continue. If you are not already signed in, you'll be prompted to sign in at this stage. If you opted to create an account for the recipient, you will be led through the appropriate steps now.
When the confirmation screen is displayed, verify the information and click "Buy." Your credit card will now be charged for the full amount of the allowance on the first of every month.
Tips & Warnings
- You can manage iTunes allowances by viewing your account information in the iTunes Store and clicking on "Manage Allowances." You will be able to change the allowance amount or cancel it entirely.
- If you're not sure if the intended recipient of the iTunes allowance already has an account, and you don't want to ruin the surprise of a birthday or graduation gift, present them with a card telling them about the allowance at the event and ask about their account later.
- If the intended recipient of your iTunes allowance already has an iTunes account, it's important that you use that account when setting up the allowance. Creating a new iTunes account for someone who already has one will make it difficult for them to manage his or her purchased music.
- An iTunes allowance will charge your credit card every month until you cancel it. If you want to give a one-time gift, buy a gift card or gift certificate instead.
How to Buy Songs on iTunes With a Gift Card
An iTunes gift card gives you funds to with which you can download new music to add to your iPod or iPhone....
How to Get an iTunes Account Without a Credit Card
When applying for an iTunes account, most new users simply provide a credit card number to facilitate instant account setup. If you...
How to Put Money From a Card Onto an iTunes Account
Apple offers gift cards for its popular iTunes Store. If you've received an iTunes prepaid gift card, you can transfer the card's...
How to Use a Mastercard Gift Card on iTunes
iTunes is Apple software available for download that gives you access to millions of songs, music videos, television shows, movies, iPhone applications,...
How to Download MP3s from the Internet
Several methods are available to legally download music from the Internet. Multiple websites, such as iTunes and Amazon.com, make downloading MP3s accessible....
How do I Put an iTunes Card on an iTunes Store?
The iTunes store is an online marketplace that lets you purchase and download songs, movies, television shows and audio books. Once you...